Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Under the Radar?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Papillon Mom
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Under the Radar? Reply with quote

Anyone just content to fly under the radar? What are your thoughts on just keeping fab records at home and never filing anywhere???
Thanks,
Amanda
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Missouri, were I live, you do not have to file anything ever and that is the way we do things. I keep records, because in Missouri it is required but my records are in my file cabinet and there they sit. In Missouri records are only needed if the county prosecuting attorney wants to see them, and home schoolers are the least of their concerns.
WAHMBrenda
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Missouri must be a great place to homeschool. I wish we could do that but it doesn't happen that way here in PA. I won't push things either and fly under the radar so to speak because I'm afraid of what could happen if I did.
Papillon Mom
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in California. Does anyone know about not filing here?
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've flown "under the radar", so to speak, until now because my kids are not of compulsory age. I've been content to have stopped receiving communication and brochures from our school district. I intend to file according to state law when my son reaches compulsory age. I don't think it's worth it not to - flying under the radar can make it appear like you have something to hide and that can bring big trouble. As a homeschooler, I have nothing to hide. I am legally entitled to homeschool my child and I intend to take advantage of that. I will abide by the laws and give them what they're legally entitled to - no more and no less.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calla_Dragon wrote:
I've flown "under the radar", so to speak, until now because my kids are not of compulsory age.

If your dc are not compulsory school age, then you are not flying under the radar Smile
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papillon Mom wrote:
We are in California. Does anyone know about not filing here?

This is JMHO.

Children in California must be enrolled in a private or public school, or tutored full time by a credentialed teacher.

If you file a private school affidavit and are challenged, you have a case. Your dc are enrolled in a private school, the one you informed the state of when you filed an affidavit.

If you do not file an affidavit and you are challenged, you don't have a case. By law your dc are truant, because they are not enrolled in a public or private school or tutored full-time by a credentialed teacher.

Now, some people do not file an affidavit because they have a strongly held religious belief that the government does not have the authority to require it, sort of a parents' right thing. They also do not get Social Security numbers for their dc or do other similar things. They are consistent in their belief. HSLDA has been known to defend people under these circumstances.

If you don't file an affidavit, IMHO you just look flakey.
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliemaejune wrote:
Calla_Dragon wrote:
I've flown "under the radar", so to speak, until now because my kids are not of compulsory age.

If your dc are not compulsory school age, then you are not flying under the radar Smile

LOL so to speak. Razz I had to withdraw my son from the district before he was compulsory age (out of special ed birth to 3 program) and got some flack from the school district and requests to return. Very Happy
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here go to: http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/default.asp and you can click on your state and then click on laws and see what the laws are for your state.
MelN2LilMen
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we fly under the radar, but really in New Jersey there is no radar - no filing or notification laws at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: