Suggestions for Online curriculum

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

kkapfe
User

Suggestions for Online curriculum

Postby kkapfe » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:42 am

I'm currently in my first year homeschooling my oldest daughter who is in first grade and my middle daughter who is in PreK/K. I'm researching my options for next year (I plan way ahead!) and am interested in what online options are out there. I've looked at the Time4Learning website and would like some feedback from people who've used it. I'm also looking for other online suggestions. I would really appreciate a Christian curriculum so that I don't have to go so heavy into the study of evolution. I'd rather bring that up on my own when my girls are ready instead of it being a mandatory topic.

Also, with online studies, how do you know if your child is too young to be in front of the computer? I think I would like it most if she had some things online and some offline.

Suggestions from others with experience would be greatly appreciated!!

Aurie
User

Postby Aurie » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:19 am

My daughter (preK) is using www.starfall.com to learn her letters and sounds. Great program and it is FREE ;) I let her play as long as she wants just so she isn't interfering with her brothers school time on the computer. For a child with no attention for anything else, she has spent up to an hour playing on Starfall.

I don't think anyone is too young to use the computer if the program is simple enough that they don't get frustrated. As far as how much time... well if she hadn't gotten off at the hour mark, I probably would have removed her. I think at some point, we stop learning and our brains need a rest. I believe that for any age though, not just for the little ones.

When I was in nursing school, I never studied more then 30 mins at a time.

cornopean
User

Re: Suggestions for Online curriculum

Postby cornopean » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:13 pm

kkapfe wrote:I'm currently in my first year homeschooling my oldest daughter who is in first grade and my middle daughter who is in PreK/K. I'm researching my options for next year (I plan way ahead!) and am interested in what online options are out there. I've looked at the Time4Learning website and would like some feedback from people who've used it. I'm also looking for other online suggestions. I would really appreciate a Christian curriculum so that I don't have to go so heavy into the study of evolution. I'd rather bring that up on my own when my girls are ready instead of it being a mandatory topic.

Also, with online studies, how do you know if your child is too young to be in front of the computer? I think I would like it most if she had some things online and some offline.

Suggestions from others with experience would be greatly appreciated!!

I am suspicious of purely online curriculums. Your children have to read and they can't read on the computer. yes?

kkapfe
User

Postby kkapfe » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:36 pm

I too am skeptical of complete online curriculums. I know I couldn't stand to look at a computer all day long. I was just thinking that having more of an eclectic approach (some online, some hands on, some book work) would be the best idea. I just didn't know what was really out there for the online stuff, probably looking mostly for Science and Social Studies. She's not old enough for SOS yet because she's only going to be in second grade. So...I was looking for some other options until then.

kkapfe
User

Postby kkapfe » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:57 pm

I checked out your spellingtime.com suggestion. It is awesome!!! My daughter hates spelling and she actually asked me "Mommy, can we do this everyday?". That's what I call dynamic. We are using her curriculum word list from Christian Liberty Press but I put them in the Spelling Time lesson. I can't believe something this good is free! Next year I won't even need to purchase a curriculum since they have premade word lists through 5th grade. Thanks for the great suggestion!

schoolymum
User

wow

Postby schoolymum » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:24 pm

I just joined finn up-thankyou so much for the link-thats just amazing. :D
there are short cuts to happiness and dance is one of them xx

gillenkl
User

Re: Online Spelling program

Postby gillenkl » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:23 pm

joem wrote:For an interactive spelling tutorial, my I recommend www.spellingtime.com! It is free, computer based and fun for the kids. Read the testimonials and test the application with your child and you will see results. We have.

I'm about to be new homeschooler - I checked out your website - it's great! Thanks so much for this info.

Kitty-Cat
User

Postby Kitty-Cat » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:24 pm

Here are two amazing maths links given to me today.
http://www.senteacher.org/Print/ (some other things here as well)
http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects ... efault.htm
Jo from Australia

schoolymum
User

thankx

Postby schoolymum » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:23 pm

thankyou so much kitty-cat :D
there are short cuts to happiness and dance is one of them xx

Kitty-Cat
User

Postby Kitty-Cat » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:28 pm

YW :D I just recieved another to a free online spelling programme.

http://www.spellingtime.com/ grades 1-5
Jo from Australia

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:38 pm

I just checked out spelltime.com. I'd never heard of it before and WOW! What an awesome suggestion! We did our first lesson today and my son loved it! Thanks!

hatcher1999
User

Spelltime

Postby hatcher1999 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:32 pm

I guess its just me but I think spell time is great too but its kinda confusing. But I haven't counted it out yet. I may play with it a little and see if I can understand the whole classroom set up. Does anyone know if it is better to set up a classroom as I am the teacher or just set it up per child. If anything I may use after I think I have both my kids up to speed.

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:34 pm

I don't think this will be much help, but I set it up per child since I only have one child old enough to work on spelling. I'm not sure what would be the easier way because I didn't notice the classroom setting. I sorta registered my son and we hit it. Hehe
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:37 pm

i just set it up for one child and customize it as i go. they each do a different lesson until they are done. I really like the weekend review! a gerat way to keep the words they have already learned and not lose them.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”