Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kinesthetic learner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanE1
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Kinesthetic learner Reply with quote

I'm looking for curriculum for an advanced 8th grade girl who will begin homeschooling in January (was in public school up till now). She is an "off-the-charts" kinesthetic learner. I would appreciate recommendations for math (Algebra 2), English, social studies, and science. The family is very busy running its own business, so prep time may be limited. Thanks so much for your help!
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Kinesthetic learner Reply with quote

I have a friend here in my area who has always homeschooled her kinesthetic DD, now in 9th grade. She asked me to tell you the following:

"Unfortunately if one does not have the time to take complete advantage of teaching moments when they come nor have the time to work everything to make it tactile I don't know what to say. In one way this has been easy for me since we have not had money for curriculums so making my own has been best. As far as starting home educating in 8th grade one must detoxify from the public school system and work at making the family a single unit in its priority. My daughter can now easily learn from all media formats but only because she was taught to do so with an early emphasis on her strengths and carrying them over to other areas in life.

"I know that it can help to simply interject all subject with a favored thing. My child loves animals. If anything can be related to animals in any way the lesson will stick. Sometimes it is as simple as allowing some doodle time onto a math paper to draw some animals. For some it is simply the investment in a swivel chair so the child can move with the parameters of not bumping the table or bothering those next to them. Standing or swaying while working on text books is well received."

HTH,
Ramona (and friend)
VanE1
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Kinesthetic learner Reply with quote

Thanks for the insights and thanks for taking time to reply!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: