Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New York, Homeschool, High School

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randigale
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: New York, Homeschool, High School Reply with quote

My kids are no where close to High School yet but I was thinking about something...

NY doesn't give diploma's to homeschool graduates, but they still require a letter of intent, IHIP and 4 quarterly updates every year, not to mention that they require specific subjects. Doesn't it make more sense to just pull them out entirely and finish HS on 'drop out' status... I mean, if they have to get a GED anyway why go through the hassle of answering to them all that time??

Maybe I misunderstand the situation... Thoughts?!?!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New York, Homeschool, High School Reply with quote

Randigale wrote:
My kids are no where close to High School yet but I was thinking about something...

NY doesn't give diploma's to homeschool graduates, but they still require a letter of intent, IHIP and 4 quarterly updates every year, not to mention that they require specific subjects. Doesn't it make more sense to just pull them out entirely and finish HS on 'drop out' status... I mean, if they have to get a GED anyway why go through the hassle of answering to them all that time??

Maybe I misunderstand the situation... Thoughts?!?!

Your dc don't have to get a GED. *YOU* issue the diploma.

Of course, compulsory school age in NY is 16: "until the last day of session in the school year in which the minor becomes sixteen years of age" or completes high school." [From HSLDA's site]

As far as I can tell (and this is not legal advice) you do not have to continue providing the IHIP and all that rot after your dc is 16 *or* "completes high school." You could graduate your dc at 16 but continue with your own hsing plans, and you woldn't be accountable to the state.

I don't know how a homeschooler can "drop out." I would not do anything which would put that phrase in my or my dc's vocabulary.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New York, Homeschool, High School Reply with quote

I'm not in NY, but I've always heard about the strict requirements there.

I am educating my kids the way I want to and merely doing the minimum to comply with state laws. Once my kids are 16 I no longer include them on my NOI each year, I no longer show their portfolios to anyone for state purposes.

If the public schools and/or state dept of ed choose to label my kids dropouts, that's their prerogative. I really couldn't care less.

My kids apply for jobs, colleges, etc. based on my records, not on the public school records. We don't call it dropping out. If anything, my kids are getting more and better ed than they would by "staying" in school.

Ramona
Randigale
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New York, Homeschool, High School Reply with quote

elliemaejune wrote:
Your dc don't have to get a GED. *YOU* issue the diploma.

Of course, compulsory school age in NY is 16: "until the last day of session in the school year in which the minor becomes sixteen years of age" or completes high school." [From HSLDA's site]

As far as I can tell (and this is not legal advice) you do not have to continue providing the IHIP and all that rot after your dc is 16 *or* "completes high school." You could graduate your dc at 16 but continue with your own hsing plans, and you woldn't be accountable to the state.

I don't know how a homeschooler can "drop out." I would not do anything which would put that phrase in my or my dc's vocabulary.

How do I issue a diploma?

Just to explain myself: I didn't mean to imply that I would tell the kids to "drop out". Just that if I officially withdraw them from the district I could finish up without dealing with them. When I was 16 I dropped out, got my GED and started college. That was what I was thinking about for them. But, I would obviously prefer to do it another way. Smile So, back to my other question: How do I issue a diploma?
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once your children have fulfilled the requirements for high school graduation in your state, to your satisfaction, you can then just say that they've graduated and leave it at that. No ceremony or diploma certificate is necessary, though if you want, there are probably homeschool organizations in your state which hold yearly graduation ceremonies and can print you up certificates. But for purposes of getting a job, saying that you've graduated from high school through homeschool is generally enough.

As far as actually proving high school graduation to a potential college, however, that's another matter entirely. Colleges care about individual course grades a lot more than whether you have a paper diploma, and it's generally a good idea to follow up as many subjects as possible with nationally standardized exams (AP, CLEP, DSST) to prove competency. Anything that isn't covered with an exam needs at least a basic portfolio of work, showing how you covered the same material as x course (you can download syllabuses online for this) and can demonstrate mastery.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New York, Homeschool, High School Reply with quote

Randigale wrote:

How do I issue a diploma?

Just to explain myself: I didn't mean to imply that I would tell the kids to "drop out". Just that if I officially withdraw them from the district I could finish up without dealing with them. When I was 16 I dropped out, got my GED and started college. That was what I was thinking about for them. But, I would obviously prefer to do it another way. Smile So, back to my other question: How do I issue a diploma?

"Issuing" a diploma only means that when your dc are ready to be graduated, you say, "Voila! You've graduated!" You (and they) might like a physical diploma, in which case there are places where you can purchase very nice ones (such as HSLDA). Have a nice family dinner to celebrate, invite the grandparents over, all that stuff.
Randigale
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize I could do that.

Just curious- does it irritate anyone else that the state feels the need to watch over us so much but won't give the kids a diploma?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: