Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

question, please help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thinking
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: question, please help Reply with quote

Hi all, new here. I was wondering if anyone knew where i can get this info. Im in New Jersey.
My son is 6 and he was in public school until we moved to a different town last week. I had all his papers transferred to the new town, and Im thinking that i want to homeschool. I didn't register him yet, just had the papers transfered. A woman called me yesterday (Im waiting on a noterized letter from my landlord for residency proof) and I let her know i should have the papers today. but, i really want to home school. at least for a while, because i don't know if were going to have to move again, and i dont want to put him through one school after another.
So, can i just call them and alert them to my intentions of homeschooling? im just nervous because i feel like they are going to try to get me introuble or something.
Ive checked everywhere i can for homeschool laws in nj, and it brings up the same thing about 2 court cases from the 60s. but its 40 years later, and i dont know if there have been any changes i just cant seem to find.

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!! thanks so much!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you, to live in the free homeschooling state of New Jersey Smile

You don't have to do anything.

Here's the link to Home School Legal Defense Association's "Legal Analysis of New Jersey Law":

http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/New_Jersey.pdf

I'm not going to advise you about whether you should call the school or not, but if you do, or if the school calls you back, all you need to do is say that you're going to homeschool. You don't need anyone's permission, you don't need to fill out anything; usually you don't even need to notify anyone, but since you've already had some contact with the local public school you might need to have a brief conversation just so no one thinks your dc is truant.
lydiavj
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call them if I were you.

I also live in NJ.

Most people don't understand the whole concept of homeschooling and think you're isolating your kids or not meeting their educational needs.

For me, it would be a scary experience since most people are already suspicious of homeschoolers in the sense that they think we're not doing our jobs as parents.

I find the same attitude when I go to the doctor's office and they can't understand why I don't vaccinate my kids. Now, that's another topic altogether, but there doesn't seem to be any trust in parenthood anymore.

My 2 cents.....

Lilly

Be a WAHM like me!
Visit: www.netmomof2.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: