Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice Needed - Can homeschool parents be compensated?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonderful!
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Advice Needed - Can homeschool parents be compensated? Reply with quote

Last edited by wonderful! on Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Advice Needed - Can homeschool parents be compensated? Reply with quote

Usually, the number of hours you have to put in is per year, not per week. Rather than wear yourself out trying to do 5 hours of instruction per day, switch to a year-round schedule of 12 hours per week (12 hours * 50 weeks = 600), with 2 hours of instruction per day, 6 days per week. This should be a lot more easily manageable. Also, with a little creativity, almost anything can be counted towards your x hours per week. Cooking in the kitchen? Have your son participate and call it Home Ec. Same with gardening, or any outdoors activity (Phs Ed), or so on. The majority of the hours should be put in on core subjects, but they don't all have to be.

What state are you in? I can look up your specific yearly requirements.
Linda
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of nor do I know anything about being compensated for home schooling so I can not speak to that. But I do know that your school day while you are home schooling will not require 6 hours. Home schooling is much more time efficent than public school. There is no roll to be taken, no assemblies, no class to keep in order, etc. For a 7th grader you are more likely looking at 4 hours a day. And a 7th grader should be able to work fairly independantly. The time the teacher spends with him each day or once a week is probably the only help he will need. You will be surprised at how quickly he will be able to "catch up" while working at home. Of course I know nothing about his medical needs, but as far as his schooling goes you would most likely be able to keep your full time job and home school him. It sounds like all you need is a responsible adult he can stay with while you are gone.

Good luck!
wonderful!
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice Needed - Can homeschool parents be compensated? Reply with quote

Last edited by wonderful! on Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:52 am; edited 2 times in total
wonderful!
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by wonderful! on Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice Needed - Can homeschool parents be compensated? Reply with quote

You may find the California thread in the Homeschool Law forum useful. Apparently there aren't any specific requirements on how many hours you have to put in per year, but the rules may be different (as in, they have more scope for manipulating you...) if you want special ed services under an IEP.
wonderful!
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by wonderful! on Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Linda
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do keep us posted on what you find out. I'm interested to see where this goes.

Again best of luck to you and your son!!
wonderful!
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: IDEA-Our Nations' Federal Law on Special Needs Ed Support Reply with quote

Last edited by wonderful! on Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Randigale
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: About the time thing... Reply with quote

Maybe I shouldn't say this, but I'm going to anyway....

I find it impossible to meet the time requirements in my state. Not because I'm so busy, but because I can cover everything covered in school in about 1/4 of the time. So, here is what I did:

I got homeschool tracker (a wonderful product by TGHome Soft and well worth the price http://www.homeschooltracker.com/) and "scheduled" our school. We may or may not follow the schedule. Anyway, I gave 1 hour for english, 1 hour for math, ect and recorded the assignments. Everytime Brianne completes an assignment, I check it off and grade it (state requirements). It will take her about 10 minutes to do her english work, but when I check off the assignment she is credited with a full hour. Basically, I'm padding her time but in a way that is totally legal when your auto mechanic or attorney does it.

Generally, I don't advertise that I do that. I'm not sure if it could get me in trouble. Basicially, if your son is learning everything that he needs to learn to meet your state requirements it doesn't matter if he does it in 6 hours or 2. And, 2 hours is closer to what he'll actually need.

Randi
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: About the time thing... Reply with quote

That sounds like it might be OK.

We do so much educational stuff outside of our school subjects that I don't care very much whether my state-required 4 hours get done every day or my state-required 172 days get done every year. For example, DD recently competed in the Geography Bee. It was on a Saturday. I didn't officially count that as one of our school days, but it was 4 hours and it was educational for all the kids. So if one other day sometime during the year gets short-changed, it all works out.

Ramona
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Advice Needed - Can homeschool parents be compensated? Reply with quote

wonderful! wrote:

I came across 2 seeming options. Does anyone know or have experience with items 1 and 2?

1. File an R-4 for a "private school" designation

2. Determine if an R-4 "private school" designation allows access *IDEA compensation. *[The compensation is not large, but in our case, anything helps!]

Any advice or referrals would be greatly appreciated.

I starting homeschooling in California in 1982.

The short answers:

Most hsers in Calif file an R-4 each year. It is simply a form which notifies the state Dept. of Education that a private school is in existence, providing some statistical information. Normally, the R-4 is filed each year between October 1 and 15, but it may be filed any time of the year when a new school starts up.

I read through the links you included but it's so much gobbledygook Confused My best educated guess would be that even if private school students are eligble, you would spend all year fighting about it.

I have never heard of anyone being set up on independent study (which is what the school has done) that has had to do the same classroom hours as the dc in school. This is very strange to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: