Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vegetarian Health curriculum?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randigale
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Vegetarian Health curriculum? Reply with quote

I am required by my state to do a health class. Of course, my kids are always in health class, but I wanted to find something a little more formal. The issue: I'm a vegetarian and I don't want to teach my kids about the "health benefits" of eating meat. I was also hoping that a veg curriculum would have a compassionate voice.

So, anyone know where I can find such a thing? Or, any ideas on how to put one togother myself?

Thanks.

Randi
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vegetarian Health curriculum? Reply with quote

If it were me, I'd be looking over health curricula at book fairs, the public library, friends' houses, and anywhere else I could find them. If there were one that emphasized "protein" instead of just meat, I'd take it. Most prepared curricula have something in it that's a bit "off" our family values, so I use that to teach my kids not to believe everything they read, etc.

Just my .02,
Ramona
Randigale
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vegetarian Health curriculum? Reply with quote

Ramona wrote:
If it were me, I'd be looking over health curricula at book fairs, the public library, friends' houses, and anywhere else I could find them. If there were one that emphasized "protein" instead of just meat, I'd take it. Most prepared curricula have something in it that's a bit "off" our family values, so I use that to teach my kids not to believe everything they read, etc.

You can teach your kids not to believe everything they read?!?!? YOU ROCK!!! LOL.

Okay, I will do that. I was hoping that PETA or a similiar group might have something. I can't find it, but I had my fingers crossed that someone else already did.

Thanks,

Randi
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure PETA is exactly the role model you want for your children either. From PETA's viewpoint, the end always justifies the means, and it's ok to be hypocritical so long as nobody finds out.
FLMom
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a quick google search... (vegetarian teaching)

http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/nutshell.htm#teaching

I am not vegetarian and therefore do not know anything about the site that I've linked to, but it appears that they offer teaching materials to children.

You might also check to see if there is an organic farm nearby for a nice field trip. Also, the local health food store might offer health benefit classes. I know the one near us does from time to time.
Randigale
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
I'm not sure PETA is exactly the role model you want for your children either. From PETA's viewpoint, the end always justifies the means, and it's ok to be hypocritical so long as nobody finds out.

I'm not a fan of PETA's but they definately put the info out there and I doubt that anything they would write for young children would be graphic or aweful. I could be wrong, of course. But, it seems like they have not put anything out anyway... oh well.
Randigale
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLMom wrote:
With a quick google search... (vegetarian teaching)

http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/nutshell.htm#teaching

I am not vegetarian and therefore do not know anything about the site that I've linked to, but it appears that they offer teaching materials to children.

You might also check to see if there is an organic farm nearby for a nice field trip. Also, the local health food store might offer health benefit classes. I know the one near us does from time to time.

Thanks! That site is great. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: