Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Handling truant officers in new school district?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WAHMBrenda
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Handling truant officers in new school district? Reply with quote

I'm moving into a school district at the end of this week that is know to be very strict about truancy. I don't know any homeschool parents in that area yet or I'd ask them this question. Anyhow, how do I handle the truancy officers when I'm out and about with my daughter in the middle of the day? Or if she's out by herself? Is there something I should do besides simply state that I homeschool. I mean, they don't know me so they don't have to take my word. As you can see I'm a little nervous. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Handling truant officers in new school district? Reply with quote

In our 12+ years of homeschooling in 2 states, we've only been questioned by a truant officer once. Most of the time everyone who sees us just assumes I have my kids out of school for some reason of my own. (If the kids are on their own, my oldest DD tends to be mistaken for the mom ever since she was about 10.)

On that one occasion, I told the officer that we were homeschoolers and he asked me when was the last time we'd had our portfolio examined and who'd examined it. He concluded from my replies that we were legitimate (and legal) and he went away.

Ramona
WAHMBrenda
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be great if it was that easy but it's my first year and I don't have a portfolio reviewer yet Sad I gues I'd better get in touch with one fast LOL
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends upon where you are as to what would be required..

my first thought on a 'reviewer' is 'what on earth for'.. Smile
of course.. I live in Texas...

mark
Aurie
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.hslda.org Check this site for the laws in your state. If you are following those guidelines, you shouldn't have any problems.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we lived in the great state of Maryland Rolling Eyes the options were either join an umbrella org (which I did not want to do, being ornery and independent) or keep a portfolio on each child and have it reviewed by a truant officer once a year. Don't ask me what for! Very Happy I merely complied.

Ramona
WAHMBrenda
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll just tell them that they're welcome to come back to my apartment and see my daughter's portfolio even though I called the school district yesterday and they told me that they don't want to see anything from me until my daughter reaches the compulsory age of 8 LOL
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Handling truant officers in new school district? Reply with quote

WAHMBrenda wrote:
I'm moving into a school district at the end of this week that is know to be very strict about truancy. I don't know any homeschool parents in that area yet or I'd ask them this question. Anyhow, how do I handle the truancy officers when I'm out and about with my daughter in the middle of the day? Or if she's out by herself? Is there something I should do besides simply state that I homeschool. I mean, they don't know me so they don't have to take my word. As you can see I'm a little nervous. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Ah. I see from your last post that compulsory school age is 8. Well, then, if you're out and about you just tell anyone who inquires that you're hsing and call it a day. Since compulsory school age is 8, I wouldn't recommend offering to let anyone see any records you might be keeping. No one has a right to do that, and the rule of thumb is that you never let authorities do things for which they do not have a legal basis.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have no right to go inside your home--unless you invite them! If you ask them in, they can snoop around and take notes on whatever they happen to see and it can snowball in unwanted directions.

If anyone asks you why your child isn't in school, simply say she isn't 8 yet and let it go at that.

Ramona
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: