Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homeschooling as a private school in Louisiana?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CindyA35
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Homeschooling as a private school in Louisiana? Reply with quote

Hi everyone my name is Cindy and I am fixing to pull my daughter out of the public school system. My daughter has ADD and has struggled for the last three months with her grades. We have tried every kind of medication and all of it has had side effects on her so we quit giving it to her. As long as she is on medication she makes good grades but never eats and feels bad all the time. When she is off the medication she makes awful grades and can't concentrate in class because of all the distrations. Some of the teachers know she has ADD and tend to fuss more at her than the other students. I will be homeschooling as a private school non approved by state. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the proper procedure for this because I thought that I needed to send a letter to the principal to withdraw ner from school then send a letter of intent to the state stating my private school name and how many enrolled. When I called the school they said that they were going to count her absent until I got approval from the state. Then the school board said I have to send in a state approval form. I have read every website about this and I think that I am right about what procedure to use. Could someone please let me know what they did when starting a private homeschool for their child in Louisiana. I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeschooling under the private school section of Louisiana law:
http://www.chefofla.org/faq.php#privateschool
http://www.doe.state.la.us/lde/eia/2158.html

Basically, you have to send two notifications:

1) Notification of the start of your private school, sent within 30 days of the beginning of the school year to the state superintendent of schools. I assume this means the public school school year, so it probably should have been mailed by the start of September (unless I'm horribly messing up my dates).

2) Notification for each child being removed from public school, sent within 10 days. I'm not sure whether the notification is sent to the school principal or to the state superintendent of schools, but probably the former.

At this point, you may have to go with the regular homeschooling option, unless you can find another private school to register under. There are probably several church-run private schools in your area that will do fine.
Aurie
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another site to consider. http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Louisiana.pdf I am homeschooling in Louisiana, but we opted for the home study option.

You didn't state the age of your daughter. But I just wanted to remind you that for your daughter to be eligible for TOPS, she must be in the home study option from 9th grade to graduation.

Good luck to you and her! If you are in the northeast corner, we have a really good homeschooling group through CHEF.
bigreys5
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Louisiana and have been "unofficially" homeaschooling my children for a few years. I say unofficially becuase my oldest homeschooler is going to be 7 in November, so we haven't actually registered with the state yet. We are going to go with the private school registration. My question ism, when it says how many students should I list my youngest- whi is 4 this summer? Of should I wait until he will be 7 to list him in my letter for that year?
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can wait until the required age.
lexary
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: homeschooling louisiana as private school Reply with quote

my daughter is 9 and has a learning disability in reading. had her tested at lsu for autism diagnosed with pdd nos. the public school has socially promoted her for the past 3 years due to being retained in 1st grade. on the ileap she tested at approaching basic. the problem is they socially promoted her to the 4th grade and she's just not ready. the theory is they will hold her back this year. i need to get her out of there before her self esteem is in the toilet. when you register as a private school do you need more than 1 student.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: