Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7th grade curiculum, need help NEWBIE!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lizardlaird
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: 7th grade curiculum, need help NEWBIE!!!! Reply with quote

I never thought I would need to homeschool my daughter until I moved to Hawaii. The schools here are so far behind that I have to get her out!!!

I have been reading about different curiculums for a week now. I am so confused and scared. Could someone please answer some questions.

I really want to use a dvd hs program... and Abeka looks appealing. I have heard that they end up doing a LOT of work, and that it is very hard. Is this true? I also heard that returning work can be a pain.

How long do you spend watching the Dvd's? How long do you spend burried in a book? How long on paperwork.... etc, etc, etc....

Do you have to submit a lot of "extra" stuff? Like book reports, projects, essays... etc, etc, etc...

If anyone uses this curiculum for a 7th grader please fill me in.

Also, if there are any other complete curiculums that offer a dvd program please let me know. I was looking for something less religious!!!

If you have any positive, or negative experiences with Abeka (or a similar program) please share it with me. I would really appreciate it.
Aurie
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are on the island of Maui, you can try this program. It should be free through the school system. Though since it is the middle of the year, you may have to wait to use the free program until the start of the next school year.

http://www.k12.com/options/dlp_participating.html

There is alot of work involved. But you should have all the materials to do the grading yourself. I am done with two students (if following the course work for 4 subjects) within 4 hours. My children are advancing quickly with this program.

The Christian school in our town uses A Beka. I have heard the children are much more advanced then the local public school kids. But here, that isn't hard to do on either front Laughing
lizardlaird
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on Oahu.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 7th grade curiculum, need help NEWBIE!!!! Reply with quote

Hi!

I feel for you because I don't see you getting answers to your questions. I don't have good answers, but I wanted to tell you something.

I've been hearing for many years that Hawaii schools are behind.

When I started HS'ing I also thought the A Beka videos looked appealing. I ended up going a different way though. I don't know how much work A Beka is or how hard it is. Personally I like hard. My kids don't usually spend a lot of time working on schoolwork, but they do have a very rigorous curriculum. I like them to start young and be about a year or two ahead of where they would be if they were in public school.

I don't know anything about returning work to A Beka.

As a homeschooling mom, I do spend quite a bit of time on prep work. This is not due to meeting requirements, but because I want to be sure my kids are getting what I want them to get.

I don't have a 7th-grader this year.

I hope someone who knows answers to one or more of your questions might speak up.

Ramona
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 7th grade curiculum, need help NEWBIE!!!! Reply with quote

lizardlaird wrote:
I never thought I would need to homeschool my daughter until I moved to Hawaii. The schools here are so far behind that I have to get her out!!!

I have been reading about different curiculums for a week now. I am so confused and scared. Could someone please answer some questions.

I really want to use a dvd hs program... and Abeka looks appealing. I have heard that they end up doing a LOT of work, and that it is very hard. Is this true? I also heard that returning work can be a pain.

How long do you spend watching the Dvd's? How long do you spend burried in a book? How long on paperwork.... etc, etc, etc....

Do you have to submit a lot of "extra" stuff? Like book reports, projects, essays... etc, etc, etc...

If anyone uses this curiculum for a 7th grader please fill me in.

Also, if there are any other complete curiculums that offer a dvd program please let me know. I was looking for something less religious!!!

If you have any positive, or negative experiences with Abeka (or a similar program) please share it with me. I would really appreciate it.

Here are some answers Smile

First, let me say that I am not an attorney, so this is not legal advice.

According to HSLDA's legal analysis of Hawaii, no, you do not to submit any of your dc's work. It says, "Parents must keep 'a record of the planned curriculum” which must include the commencement date and ending date of the program, number of hours per week of instruction, subjects to be covered, method used to determine mastery of materials and subjects in the curriculum, and a list of textbooks or other instructional materials.'" However, I don't see that it says that you must submit these records. But:

Standardized Tests: In grades 3, 5, 8 and 10, children must take a standardized achievement test of the parent’s choice. Also an “annual report of child’s progress” must be submitted to local principal. This report may comprise one of the following:

1. a score on “a nationally-normed standardized achievement test which demonstrates grade level achievement appropriate to a child’s age;”

2. “progress on a nationally-normed standardized test that is equivalent to one grade level per calendar year;”

3. a written evaluation by a teacher certified in Hawaii; or

4. a written evaluation by the parent (grades, tests, assignments or results of statewide testing program may be submitted) which demonstrates progress.

Sounds easy-peasy to me Smile

As far as ABeka's DVD program, personally it's not something I would use. I prefer more interaction between my dc and me as opposed to their sitting in front of the television all day. And I'm not overly fond of ABeka except for a few isolated subjects. It is a LOT of work for most dc, and it's not necessarily interesting work, either.

You might consider Clonlara. It's been around for many years, and is infinitely flexible.
http://www.clonlara.org/homebased.htm

There are also on-line courses available.
http://www.clonlara.org/compuhighpro.htm

It is neither religious nor non-religious.
elishajane
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about teaching 7th grade or Abeka videos, but I have been teaching my children for two years now using the full Abeka curriculum. While abeka is a more advanced curriculum, they make each step easy. Many people complain about two things when they complain about A beka either it reviews too much or it moves too fast. Really it moves fast because the review is so extensive.
I have found the representatives to be very helpfull at the a beka toll free number. They would know how easy it would be to transfer in at the 7th grade level and would be able to answer regarding specific abilities.

Many people where I live use the k12 curriculum and the state pays for it. k12 is almost all on the computer and it is a secular curriculum.
Bob Jones University Press also has DVDs.
School house offers DVDs and each subject is sold seperate at CBD.com.
Getting into college as a homeschooler without a high school diploma does not seem to be a problem at this point

Whatever you choose to use it doesn't have to be right the first time. As long as you're diligent your child will stay ahead of the public schools, even the better ones.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elishajane wrote:
Many people where I live use the k12 curriculum and the state pays for it. k12 is almost all on the computer and it is a secular curriculum.

To put this correctly, people enroll their children in a government-funded charter school which *requires* them to use k12. It is not as if people decide that k12 is what they want and the purchase it and send the bill to the state. The children are legally public school students, not homeschooled students; public school laws apply, not homeschool laws.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: