Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homeschooling in Spain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Overseas / Military Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
earthmother
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Homeschooling in Spain Reply with quote

can anyone offer any advice on the legalities of home schooling in Spain. I believe it is legal but still quite a new concept. How does this affect parents choosing this as an option? Are curriculums available for parents to follow? What happens if homeschooling is not regulated within the country you are proposing to live in? Question
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked out AsociaciĆ³n para la Libre EducaciĆ³n? I can't read the site very well, since I never learned Spanish, but if you can read Spanish you may find it helpful.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: ALE Reply with quote

Oh, very cool! That is a good site!

If you can't read Spanish, click on the button at the top called "enlaces" (links) and it takes you to links to sites all over the world in several languages including English--and this site, hee-hee.

Ramona
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part in Spanish says that there are directories here for support groups and homeschoolers all over the world.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Homeschooling in Spain Reply with quote

earthmother wrote:
can anyone offer any advice on the legalities of home schooling in Spain. I believe it is legal but still quite a new concept. How does this affect parents choosing this as an option? Are curriculums available for parents to follow? What happens if homeschooling is not regulated within the country you are proposing to live in? Question

I don't really know anything about the legalities of homeschooling in Spain. I have some native Spaniard friends there who have looked into it but AFAIK they are not homeschooling now, so I don't know that they would be much help either.

It may not be 20 years old there, but I don't think it's as new as 2 years. I'm not sure what you mean by new.

I'm not sure what your question about curriculum refers to, either. Are you hoping some government or private entity in Spain makes curriculum available to homeschoolers? I wouldn't want to use such a thing, so I don't know anything about that.

I have no idea what happens if homeschooling is not regulated in the country, but that ALE website includes (in Spanish) quite a number of laws from both the central government and various local governments that someone apparently thinks do apply to homeschooling in some way, so I don't think it's absolutely unregulated there. (I didn't read them in detail.)

Would you want your child(ren) to study in Spanish or English while living in Spain?

Ramona
Fastinjun
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

We just moved to Spain from the USA and would also like some info on Homeschooling in Spain. Ive checked out the website mentioned here and emailed them but have yet to hear from them. We homeschooled in the states with great success and want to continue that here. Hopefully someone here can enlighten us with how to go about this.
thanks in advance.
Matilda
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: information Reply with quote

Hi Fastinjun,

In Spain, you won't find quick answers by e-mail nor many information about homeschooling. Here, it is still illegal.

Here you are a few links that can be useful:

http://hazteoir.org/modules.php?name=Noticias&file=article&sid=5884

http://www.educarenfamilia.org/

http://www.geocities.com/crecersinescuela/

Regards!
Matilda
apmama
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fastinjun wrote:
Hi,

We just moved to Spain from the USA and would also like some info on Homeschooling in Spain. Ive checked out the website mentioned here and emailed them but have yet to hear from them. We homeschooled in the states with great success and want to continue that here. Hopefully someone here can enlighten us with how to go about this.
thanks in advance.

Hi, where in Spain did you move to? Are you having any luck finding other homeschoolers?
paragile
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: 5 and 7 yrs old homeschoolers kids in Madrid Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

New in this forum, we started the homeschool adventure last christmas (january 2010) for our two kids now 5 and 7 yrs old. We live in Madrid and are looking for english speaking homeschoolers families in Madrid or surroundings.
My wife is Spanish and I'm French.

Our 7 yrs-old follows the american curriculum (in spanish language) through "EPYSTEME" in contact with a californian school.

Please don't hesitate to contact us in order to organize things or activities.

See you,

Frederic
kreative-kim
User

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: It is illegal to teach from home in spain Reply with quote

My child Kieran is almost 12 years old and he has ADHD. I took him out of school 4 years ago, because he was being bullied by the kids and teachers every day in a Spanish school in Jalon, the more he went to school the less he learned and he became very withdrawn and stopped interacting with everyone outside the family. 3 years ago we moved to Granada in Spain, I have continued with his schooling at home, he is not up with a 12 year old in Education as a boy in England, but he can read and write and his maths are very good, he is learning to cook, he learns a lot from educational computer games, we also teach though every day living, but all this has now changed as someone has contacted social services, they have informed me that it is illegal to home teach in Spain, that I am keeping him in a bubble. The Social Worker informed me, he is to go to school and be bullied so he can defend himself, this is the way we do it in Spain. My son cannot hit another child, because he doesn't want to, so what is his life going to be like for the next 4 years. I have been told that I cannot take him out of school over the next 4 years, if I do not comply with the Social Workers, then they will take illegal action against me. I know a number of English children, who have left Spanish school without any qualifications, they have no way of gaining work. My 2 girls successfully did their GCSE's on line, these GCSE's can now be translated into Spanish and given the equivalent to the Spanish exams. We are looking at our options now, one of them is my husband and son move to another part of Spain where it is legal to home teach at home, or they move to England or Ireland. I like so many mothers, Want what's best for my child and I will go to great lengths to get the best education and the best care, being bullied at school by adults and kids doesn't sound right to me, wether you have a disability or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Overseas / Military Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: