Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

California

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOMS
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: California Reply with quote

OHMYGOSH!
.....I FEEL SO STUPID FOR ASKING BUT
I CAN'T FIND THE LINK TO
FIND OUT CALI'S LAW ON HS....
Mia (6)
Baby Hondo (4)
dkocur
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=CA
MOMS
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK U
THANK U
THANK U Razz
Mia (6)
Baby Hondo (4)
Kris Murphy
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no lawyer. I know that a lot of parents flounder when it comes to deciphering those darn legal terms. So to help out, I wrote some articles on homeschooling laws for some states.

If you would like to read about California homeschooling laws without the legal jargon, here's an article I wrote.

http://www.homeschooling-paradise.com/homeschooling-in-california.html

Hope it helps! Wink

Best Wishes,
Kris Murphy
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris Murphy wrote:
I'm no lawyer. I know that a lot of parents flounder when it comes to deciphering those darn legal terms. So to help out, I wrote some articles on homeschooling laws for some states.

If you would like to read about California homeschooling laws without the legal jargon, here's an article I wrote.

http://www.homeschooling-paradise.com/homeschooling-in-california.html

Hope it helps! Wink

Best Wishes,
Kris Murphy

I have a couple of issues with your articles. Sorry. Wink

Charter schools and public school ISPs are legally not homeschooling. Children enrolled in these programs are public school students, not homeschooled students. Yes, the "campus" is in someone's kitchen or family instead of the school down the street, but children are either enrolled in a public school or they are enrolled in a private school which has filed an affidavit. This is an important distinction. For that reason, the majority of homeschool support group leaders will not have information regarding public school programs.

As public school students, charter school students are required to be tested.

PSPs look, on paper, just like any other private school...including the one that people establish in their own homes if they file affidavits themselves. The only difference is the number of students enrolled, and that's why many people like PSPs: anonymity.

A child who is being tutored full-time by a credentialed teacher is also not technically a homeschooler. He is being tutored full-time by a credentialed teacher, who does not have to file an affidavit. Furthermore, at the high school level the tutor must be credentialed in individual subjects, which is why most high school-level students are not tutored.

It is the PSP that has to be worried about complying with the California Ed. Code, not the parents.

Private schools must have teachers who are "persons capable of teaching," and private schools are supposed to keep their teachers' qualifications on file. There is no description of what those qualifications must be. No one is allowed to see those requirements.

Private school are supposed to "offer" the same courses offered by the public school. No one is allowed to verify those courses.

Private schools don't have to show their attendance or immunization records. Ever.

Filing the affidavit takes 10 minutes per year, tops, to file. It's no biggie. I began filing in 1982, when it was a big four-part form that had to be mailed in. Filing on-line is easy peasy.

In short, to homeschool in California children need to be enrolled in a private school, and it can either be a PSP or the private school the parents establish in their own homes. The private school (PSP or parents) files an affidavit annually. No testing, no minimum # of school days, no nothin'.

Very Happy
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Kris Murphy
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Elliemaejune,

Thanks for your feedback. You have been a great help in clarifying things. Very Happy

You are right in that charter schools and public school ISPs are legally not homeschooling.

I am using the word 'homeschooling' loosely. Parents who would like to teach their children at home but still need some structure and support might consider these options.

I will re-read my article and make other necessary amendments.

Thanks.

Kris Murphy
http://www.homeschooling-paradise.com
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris Murphy wrote:
Dear Elliemaejune,

Thanks for your feedback. You have been a great help in clarifying things. Very Happy

You are right in that charter schools and public school ISPs are legally not homeschooling.

I am using the word 'homeschooling' loosely. Parents who would like to teach their children at home but still need some structure and support might consider these options.

I will re-read my article and make other necessary amendments.

Thanks.

Thank you for recieiving my comments in the spirit in which they were written. Very Happy

The reason that public school programs shouldn't be included in a description about how homeschooling works in California is that...they are not homeschooling. There're enough problems with the whole public-school-at-home thing going on that IMHO inquirers would be better served if you describe the homeschooling options...and that's all. Parents will hear about public-school-at-home easily enough, believe me.

If you feel you must include them (and personally, *I* would feel no obligation to do so; public schools don't need my help, but that's just me), you could add a simple statement such as "There are public school options for parents to teach their children at home; check with your local county office of education or [that link you included in your original article]."
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: