Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

many questions about hs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brunettesm91
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: many questions about hs Reply with quote

okay so im in 10th grade and i just have been considering getting hs for a while and i think it's best for me. i dont feel right in a regular school and actually hate going..

so what im wondering is does your parent absolutely have to be the one to be homeschooling you? can you hire someone to homeschool? because my dad has a full time job and my mom doesnt have enough money to just quit her job and be a stay at home mom who homeschools. (my parents are seperated)

please help! thank you
robinsegg
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are curricula available that have teachers on DVD to teach you. You do the "homework", your parents grade it, and you send the DVD back to get the next one. I think that's the way it works.

There are also independant studies out there for high school students.

There may also be internet classes you could "attend", and there are colleges that allow high school students to take classes there for credit.
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of your coursework you can probably handle on your own. For the rest, online or community college courses are available and not that horribly expensive. There may also be co-op courses offered by a homeschool group in your area, which would be even less expensive.
AZAEsix
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: HS Reply with quote

There are some outstanding programs out there that you can access and work through on your own. Simple, but thorough curriculum would get you through the remainder of your HS studies. Determine the credits you need for graduation (or, more clearly, acceptance into a university if you are headed there), and you can begin your work there. Homeschooling is actually a lot simpler than it seems if you remove the mental barriers and complexities. But always bear in mind that when working on your own, discipline is of the essence...you must stay the course if you are to complete HS. Good luck to you! You should not have to hate going to school!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: many questions about hs Reply with quote

brunettesm91 wrote:
okay so im in 10th grade and i just have been considering getting hs for a while and i think it's best for me. i dont feel right in a regular school and actually hate going..

so what im wondering is does your parent absolutely have to be the one to be homeschooling you? can you hire someone to homeschool? because my dad has a full time job and my mom doesnt have enough money to just quit her job and be a stay at home mom who homeschools. (my parents are seperated)

please help! thank you

It will be important for you to find out what the homeschool laws are in your state.

Some specifically require that the parents or legal guardians must be the teachers. If that is the case in your state, then homeschooling will be very difficult for you.

Depending on the laws in your state, yes, it might be legal for your parents to pay someone to teach you. That person would be a tutor, and technically, you would not be homeschooled.

You might check into some alternatives, such as taking courses at your local community college instead of doing high school.

You must also have both of your parents in agreement about any alternative education plans. It is not uncommon for the noncustodial parent to cause many problems for the custodial parent. I'm sure you don't want that to happen.
isamama
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you should get to know the homeschool laws of your state - hslda.org is one good source for this. Yes, your parents could probably hire a tutor in areas you feel less confident to do by yourself. There are online writing workshops for hsers, writeguide to name one. Your work is done by email. There are literature guides (progeny press, portals) to help you analyze books you read.

My 10th grader uses Abeka for biology; they have lab videos available, so you can observe labs and write up the lab report. For those labs you want to do hands on it provides a wonderful visual guide. You can study/read your history during the day and at night (or weekends) your parent can administer a quiz/test.

There is even a literature based history program (beautiful feet) where you simply read a selection of books instead of using a standard textbook. My dd is using Abeka for World History, but plan to use Beautiful feet next year.

There are excellent math programs for homeschoolers that are very self explanatory. HH publishing for the Algebras; Lial ( Alg, Geometry, Alg II and etc) by pearson addison wessley; and Teaching Textbooks are three very user-friendly curricula for math.

The above covers your main core (and there are many more choices out there). Electives can be satisfied by taking dance, piano lessons, or even sewing classes. Foreign language is no longer something to fear as a homeschooler - Rosetta Stone is user friendly, but more than likely you'll need to supplement with a book on verbs/grammar usage (my dd is using Practice makes Perfect for Spanish Verbs).

You could even suggest your folks set you up with a senior citizen that can contribute (sewing, gardening, english, or better yet history) in exchange you can do some chores for them - colleges like to hear volunteer/community services you participated in. Besides, if your folks are gone all day, this might be a welcome companion in your life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: