Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The MOST effective style for math and science.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jduringer
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: The MOST effective style for math and science. Reply with quote

What is it? What does it look like any one of the many subjects of study/learning math and science?

If this NEW forum responds to such a question, I would expect some very creative posts. Yet, the essence of "child led" learning may dissuade any response, as I suspect a month of minimal activity in this forum indicates.

As exemplified by the response to the science of flying post, I would expect many resourceful responses to the challenge of keeping a child's interest engaged in a topic.

In a general sense, I would recommend the Montessori style - the offering of a limited set of choices (any of which would yield skill development) and enthusiastically cheerleading whatever choice they make.

Though the following comment may be a bit ascerbic, if a child were given complete freedom to choose ANYthing they wanted, they would probably soon become obese diabetic alcoholic illiterate experts of cartoons and video games (as much of post industrial populations have become). And if that is what their custodians wanted, then it would be a very effective style. One of the things I want for my children is that they learn the beauty of math and science.

So, anybody have any suggestions for specific math/science engagement?

JonD Wink
AZAEsix
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Math & Science engagement Reply with quote

In the area of science, my children always do well with a lot of field trips, and "in the field" experiments. Also, many cities have science labs as a part of college services to the general public that encourages a love a science. I make as many contacts as I possibly can: animal clinics (my children have even worked as volunteers); Science Museums; pharmacies; zoos; etc. I recently took my children to the airport as a field trip. We visited the tower and spoke with air traffic controllers...received some training as well. The children were rapt with excitement. Further, we have a NASA training center at our airport, and our children were able to speak with several astronauts in training. (It is not a common occurrence to have astronauts at our NASA center...we lucked out!) A real treat, I assure you.

Math awakens the mind in the same way that science does, only the concepts are, of course, abstract. Making them concrete is often a great boon. Build something. Begin a long-term project if necessary (and if finances permit), but solidifying the abstract is extremely helpful, and rapidly engages the student.
WAHMBrenda
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing a lot of lap books to teach my daughter science. As far as teaching math. We start by getting the basics down using worksheets then move on to playing games once I feel that she's grasped the basics.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our science is a rather impromptu affair. When the children ask questions about something, we delved deeper, when we find something outside, we reseach it and learn more about it. We captured caterpillars and hatched butterflied and moths, we explored airplanes and flight, we are now learning about weather, because they were wondering what makes it snow. Children are full of questions and we don't have to givet hem the answers, just show them how to get them. That is how we teach science.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Starlily
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Science is pretty impromptu here too...lots of nature walks, visiting the aquarium and other museums, different kits and experiments, telescope & microscope Wink

There is a series of books called 'Guardians of Ga'hoole' by Kathryn Laskey which the children have really been enjoying, and so independently have been doing LOTS of research, reports and stories about owls. We even were able to enjoy a lecture about grey horned owls together and see one up close when we were at a nature reserve.

I bought a good homeschool science curriculum last year, which was called R.E.A.L. science, and we have had fun with some of the experiments from time to time...

this year, I bought one from the school district and it is awful...one book for grades 1 - 6, and nothing that we couldn't have done on our own...needless to say, we're not using it...

OH! Also magazines & nature cards that come in the mail, etc. I guess we're doing more science than I realized LOL
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*waves at JonD*

interesting post..
I will say that if I let my kiddo's go any diretion they wanted, it would
be rather eclectic.
Most likely with a major on acoustics for their science of choice.
Of course, since my son is going to be helping me on his woodwind
teacher's Christmas present, that would fit nicely.
(It's a Native American style flute.)

My daughter has similar interests although she would be more inclined to
branch out into geology to the exclusion of the rest.
So, we are using a curriculum this year too. Smile
That way I make sure they get a somewhat balanced view of the sciences.
Razz

mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: