Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to withdraw 1 child, leave younger one in SAME PS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkatiemom
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: How to withdraw 1 child, leave younger one in SAME PS? Reply with quote

Hope anyone has some advice for me!

My 7 year-old has always had great difficulty in public school, more so when we moved to a new school district. His teachers all but give-up on him, complaining that he does not stay on task and has a hard time completing work independently.
From the moment we step on campus in the mornings, he has a noticeable change in posture and demeanor and becomes very insecure and quiet, alternately wanting to hold my hand and pushing me away (because a child might see).
His teacher now complains almost daily that my son is a bully, either putting his hands on other children or calling people names. His side is that he is being picked on and lashing out, although he won't really discuss much with me.
My son is WAAAAY too young to be going down this path. If the teachers are going to pass him by, I feel like it is my responsibility to pick him up and nurture him back to where he should be.
My 4 year-old attends the same school and thrives. I would not want to take him out of school because he is having a ball and doing VERY well because of it. I just want to homeschool my 7 year-old because it seems like the perfect solution for his needs and the problems he is having with PS.
I love the school, but am coming to see more and more than hs would be a lifesaver for my child.

How should I go about withdrawing him for hs, while my other little boy still attends the school? I hear many stories on this board and others that make me think that often, school staff do not react well to a withdrawal of this nature. I do not want my younger son to experience any fall-out.

Do you think it is a good idea to tell them my intentions for my 7 year-old and make sure they understand that I think they are a fantastic school (which they are)? How do I do this? I am SOOOO nervous. They seem like wonderful people. I actually petitioned last year to have him transferred TO this school because my 4 y.o. was thriving so much.

It is clear to me that my son's problems are not specific to one school, but the operating methods of the PS system itself. I just don't know how to break the ties without burning bridges.

p.s.- Don't know if this matters, but we live in Texas. I also have a severely autistic son who thrives in a separate ps program.

Thank you for reading this!! Smile
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost left my younger son when I tool out the older and the school thought that the reasons I had for taking out the older were fine so they were not prejudiced against us in any way. My younger son however didn't want to stay, he wanted to come home and spend time with mom too. Talk to the school and talk to your sons. Explain your position and see what happens.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do it very carefully Surprised

Texas is an excellent state for homeschooling because of the 1994 Leeper court case. Legally, all you have to do is take your dc out of school...period.

But even in "good" states there can be trouble. I would suggest that you plan to take him out at Thanksgiving. On Monday, November 30, you call the school and tell them that he will not be coming back because you are homeschooling. Don't ask permission, don't agree to filling out any forms. Just be all sweetness and light. You can tell them that you've considered everything and you believe that hsing will be best for him, but don't give too much information or agree to anything. You are only notifying the school so that no one will think your ds is truant.

I have to say that I would recommend joining HSLDA. Good homeschool law or not, HSLDA (and the Texas state group, Texas Home School Coalition) is kept busy dealing with contacts from ignorant school officials (and others).
dragonfly183
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: homeschooling 1 child Reply with quote

I am going through the same problem you are. My 12 year old son who's IQ is 143 is picked on by teachers and students alike and his grades are failing because he is way ahead of everyone else. All of his friends are 15 and 16 years old so he doesn't get along with any of his classmates. The so called "smart kids" pick on him because they feel threatened by a kid with bad grades who clearly knows more than they do. He comes home complaining because he says the teacher taught something incorrect "again" and he got in trouble for correcting her "again".

My 10 year old daughter has an IQ of 119. Her grades are A's and B's, she has lots of friends and her teachers adore her.

Its not the public school system picking on her I'm worried about, its the sybling rivalery. Its already horrible. Hissister constantly tries to get him in trouble. I can just see where this is going to lead if I pull him out of school and teach him at home.

I plan on using the un schooling method because i think its best if he learns what he is interested in and a GED studyguide so he can get a GED.
FLMom
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I withdrew my 10 y/o and left the 7 y/o at PS. I have had NO problems with the school, the teachers, the staff, the district, or anyone. I went beyond the call of duty and explained to the staff as to why the oldest was being withdrawn and why the youngest was to remain, so that there would be no question or residual backlash to my son.

The only problems we have encountered is at home with our son, he feels as if he isn't as special because he's still in school. He will be brought home next year.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: