Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 very important ?'s.Records and letting the schoool know...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goodgirlquin
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: 2 very important ?'s.Records and letting the schoool know... Reply with quote

In my state we do not have to keep records but I am going to each year in case anyone ever questions me.How do I go about doing this? Is a treachers lesson planner enough doc.?Writting what was done daily and the grades in it.With dates and page assigments.

2nd how do I go about telling the school.We are not coming back? Do I need to or what is coreect here?

Thanks so much,
Christina
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: You'll need to send a Letter of Intent: Reply with quote

You'll need to let the school board know initially that you're going to be homeschooling, by sending them a Letter of Intent. The information you're required to supply in the letter can vary from state to state, however, as well as the additional legal requirements such as testing, record-keeping, etc., so it would probably be helpful to let us know what state you're in.

As for record-keeping, a weekly summary of material covered, with any applicable grades, should be sufficient. Once you get into high school material, you can also take standardized tests - AP, CLEP, or DANTES - rather than keep records, which I highly recommend both for simplicity's sake and for potential college credit.
goodgirlquin
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: I am in Oklahoma..... Reply with quote

We are lucky it is very relaxed here.

Thanks for your replies your are always answering ?'s.

Christina
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Looks like you're right, Oklahoma is pretty relaxed... Reply with quote

http://www.oklahomahomeschooling.org/oklahoma.htm

Looks like you're right, Oklahoma is pretty relaxed. It's up to the family (or if the worst happens, a jury) to decide what constitutes private instruction in good faith. You don't have to follow a set schedule or even a certain minimum number of hours - even the public school system only requires 3 hours of one-on-one instruction per week for their homebound program. There also doesn't seem to be any testing or (formal) record-keeping requirements, though in my opinion testing your children every year or two doesn't hurt anything, so long as you're not required to give the results to the state.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: