High school

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

nanapooh
User

High school

Postby nanapooh » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:22 am

Hello,this is the first time I have gotten on the forum site..My home schooler will be starting 9th grade next fall.Any suggestions on keeping credits etc.?

Theodore

If you mean keeping proof that he's finished every course...

Postby Theodore » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:18 pm

If you mean keeping proof that he's finished every course, probably the best way is to have him take nationally standardized tests - AP, CLEP, or DANTES - in each subject. Not only does this give colleges an easy way to compare him (hopefully favorably!) with the other applicants, it may also give college credit if he scores well in the more advanced exams. Some colleges may let you skip up to a year or two of college from test scores alone, which saves a load of time and money.

nanapooh
User

High school

Postby nanapooh » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:51 am

Thanks.Where do I get the standardized tests?Are they on line?

Theodore

These are all exams that you take at official testing...

Postby Theodore » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:54 pm

AP
CLEP
DANTES

These are all exams that you take at official testing centers. AP is written and timed; CLEP is done via computer and timed; and I believe DANTES is written and untimed. DANTES is supplied by the Department of Defense, so you'd be taking those exams at your nearest military base rather than a high school or college.

nanapooh
User

High school

Postby nanapooh » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:07 am

Thanks.I guess I will have to contact the local school.We live in New Mexico and are not required to do any testing.I feel it would be better if we were required, that way a place would already be set up for the home schoolers.There is no group in my town to join so I guess I can get involved with another town that has a group and see what they are doing.Thanks again.

Theodore

Testing may not be mandatory for homeschooling...

Postby Theodore » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:45 pm

Yes, you'll probably have to test at the local school or college. Testing may not be mandatory for homeschooling, but I highly recommend it as preparation for entering college. Colleges like homeschoolers, but they also like to have an easy way to compare you against others, and a long, complicated transcript is not the answer. It's also not as likely to get you college credit.

Return to “High School / College Prep”