homeschooling a "difficult" child

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

batwing
User

homeschooling a "difficult" child

Postby batwing » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:25 am

My 7 yr old granddaughter is a sweetheart.....when she wants to be. She can also be very difficult,hardheaded, a do-it-my-way kind of kid. She's extremely active,has a lot of "nervous energy". She's currently in 2nd grade,on the honor roll,doing very well. However,her mom wants to hs her and her 5yr old brother. But...she's afraid that she won't be able to because of L's willful attitude. You can't make her sit down and study,do school work,etc. unless she WANTS to. She's had all the usual punishment tactics applied.....time out,privileges taken away,spankings,etc. and nothing seems to work. How do you work/deal with a child like this,especially in the realm of homeschooling?? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Surely some of you out there must have "hard-headed" kids. Thanks so much!!
The eternal God is thy refuge,and underneath are the everlasting arms.

Theodore

Have her do some form of strenuous physical activity...

Postby Theodore » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:17 pm

Have her do some form of strenuous physical activity before sitting down to do her homework. This is an easy and effective way to get rid of excess energy :)

Joy
User

Music can help too

Postby Joy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:22 pm

Batwing,

I have given many presentations on the power of music to soothe and settle down intelligent and active children like your grandchild.

Back in ancient Greece, Plato and others knew about music's power to rile up or calm down people.

This all has to do with physics and such, but I won't get into details about that at the moment.

However, if you like, I can suggest some specific music that you might be able to buy online.

Let me know.
Joy
Joy Sikorski, M.A.
singbabysing.com
youtube.com/singbabysing

singing and speech...both from the same areas of the brain...both easy to train

wvrobin
User

HEY JOY! I WOULD LOVE ANY ADVICE OR SUGGESTIONS YOU HAVE!

Postby wvrobin » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:04 pm

JOY,

IN THE FALL WITH THE BEGINNING OF THE 2006-2007 SCHOOL YR I AM GOING TO HS MY 2 KIDS NOAH 9 AND EMILEE 8. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT MY BOY IS ADHD .HE DOES HAVE TROUBLE CONCENTRATING AND STAYING FOCUSED. HE IS NOT ABLE TO JUST FLIP A SWITCH ON AND OFF WHEN HE GETS SWITCHED ON IT TAKES HIM TIME TO WIND DOWN. HE ALSO HAS SPEECH IN THE PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM , HE ESPECIALLY HAS TROUBLE WITH THE LETTER R. DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR THIS ,ANY THOUGHTS OR IDEAS WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATED! ALSO I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR MORE ABOUT YOUR LIFE IN ALASKA! I HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT I WOULD LOVE TO GO THERE!

THANKS WVROBIN

Joy
User

Postby Joy » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:17 am

WVRobin,

Certain kinds of classical music can often help to quickly quiet hyper children. One popular piece is Pachelbel's Canon in D. Another is
J.S. Bach's Air from the Overture #3 in D major.

There are a number of other things that you can do that are effective in calming hyper children.

These include deep breathing games and humming games.

These games are also very useful in training vocal skills for any age and are easy and fun to do.

I'm including a link page to an article for you to read, in case you want to try them. They work well!

http://www.singbabysing.com/classics.html

For the "r" letter, it's hard by computer to describe how to do an exercise because I'd have to hear him and watch his tongue and lips, but perhaps I can try. First I'll need you to write out the type of sound he now makes instead of a clear "r." And what is the speech person at public school doing for that particular letter?

About Alaska. Yes, it's a wonderful place to visit. I've starting writing a book about it and have posted one page about it on my website.

Best wishes,
Joy
Joy Sikorski, M.A.

singbabysing.com

youtube.com/singbabysing

singing and speech...both from the same areas of the brain...both easy to train

Juloyes
User

my own strong willed child

Postby Juloyes » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:05 pm

I can relate to the constant activity and hard headedness...we just pulled our son out of 1 st grade and i was so worried that all we would do is butt heads all day. I honestly cannot believe that his attitude has changed so drastically. He's far from perfect, but he's calmer, more obedient...I think it's because of all the focused time I'm spending with him. I try to give lots of breaks, but if whining starts or he disobeys me, it's a prompt spanking in a loving way that is intended to bring correction not just punishment. Some books that have helped me to not discipline in anger have been the Heart of Anger by Lou Priolo, Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp, and The New Strong Willed Child by Dr. Dobson. Creative Correction by Lisa Whelchel is a wealth of fun, practical ideas to keep the kiddos in line. And she's a homeschooling mom, too. What I have found that a lot of my problem with my son is my own temper, that I'm provoking him to anger in ways I never realized. Things have been much better lately, but for every step forward it's always two back. :)
Julie

Return to “Getting Started”