Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High school

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nanapooh
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: High school Reply with quote

Hello,this is the first time I have gotten on the forum site..My home schooler will be starting 9th grade next fall.Any suggestions on keeping credits etc.?
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: If you mean keeping proof that he's finished every course... Reply with quote

If you mean keeping proof that he's finished every course, probably the best way is to have him take nationally standardized tests - AP, CLEP, or DANTES - in each subject. Not only does this give colleges an easy way to compare him (hopefully favorably!) with the other applicants, it may also give college credit if he scores well in the more advanced exams. Some colleges may let you skip up to a year or two of college from test scores alone, which saves a load of time and money.
nanapooh
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: High school Reply with quote

Thanks.Where do I get the standardized tests?Are they on line?
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: These are all exams that you take at official testing... Reply with quote

AP
CLEP
DANTES

These are all exams that you take at official testing centers. AP is written and timed; CLEP is done via computer and timed; and I believe DANTES is written and untimed. DANTES is supplied by the Department of Defense, so you'd be taking those exams at your nearest military base rather than a high school or college.
nanapooh
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: High school Reply with quote

Thanks.I guess I will have to contact the local school.We live in New Mexico and are not required to do any testing.I feel it would be better if we were required, that way a place would already be set up for the home schoolers.There is no group in my town to join so I guess I can get involved with another town that has a group and see what they are doing.Thanks again.
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Testing may not be mandatory for homeschooling... Reply with quote

Yes, you'll probably have to test at the local school or college. Testing may not be mandatory for homeschooling, but I highly recommend it as preparation for entering college. Colleges like homeschoolers, but they also like to have an easy way to compare you against others, and a long, complicated transcript is not the answer. It's also not as likely to get you college credit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: