Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I think I've made a huge mistake......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brandee
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: I think I've made a huge mistake...... Reply with quote

Last week, on Wednesday, my son came home crying because of something that had happened at school (he's in 1st grade). Also, he's asthmatic and once again his teacher "forgot" to give him his albuterol before recess, so he came home weezey and itchy (asthama->eczema flare). I was so angry I could hardly sleep that night.

My husband and I are in the process of buying a home in a different school district, one that we didn't want him in. So, we had decided to homeschool, but when he came home Wednesday we decided just to go ahead and pull him out and start.

When I called the school Thursday morning and told the SIMS lady, she told me that I could not do that unless I was certified. This was a lie, or either she is misinformed. I live in North Carolina, as long as I send in an intent to hs before July 1, 2007 I'm fine. Anyways, she caught me off guard so I just said, well we are moving to so-and-so school district, so if I can't homeschool he will just go there. I went that afternoon and picked up his paperwork to take to the new school and came home and called http://www.ncdnpe.org/ and was told I could pull him out at anytime I wanted. So, after having spoken with her I didn't worry about anymore and started the next day, Friday.

Well.....I just happened to read a post here about truancy, which startled me a bit, so I dug around until I found a legal case about someone who withdrew her child out of public school but the school took 4 days to process...so she was penalized for having him out of school for 4 days, supposedly unexcused.

I didnt fill out anything. I never signed anything. I just took the paper the lady handed me and left. Am I in serious trouble? Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best bet. get in touch with the homeschool legal defense folks..

Theodore probably has that link on file somewhere. Smile

mark
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ncdnpe.org/hhh103.htm
http://nche.com/law.html

Apparently, you're supposed to file a Notice of Intent prior to starting, but they hopefully won't make a big deal about it as long as you go ahead and file immediately. There's a link to a sample form on the first page. It might be a good idea to join HSLDA just in case, however.

Incidently, note the part about proof of high school diploma or higher. You'll have to include a copy of your diploma.
Brandee
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.

Being my son is only 6, I have until July 1, 2007 before I have to submit a letter of intent. My main concern was if I skipped a procedure to have him withdrawn from the public school system. I spoke with someone at the county school systems this morning and everything is ok. She is going to call the principal tomorrow just to make sure (she was out of town today) and double check. Looks like I'm all clear though. Whew is all I can say.....I could hardly sleep last night lol!
babyblueeyes
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: trudency Reply with quote

Can you really get in trouble for having your child out of school for just 4 days? I wonder if that person your referring to had excessive absenses with their child prior to requesting to homeschool.. My daughter's missed most all of this year and I have been served with paper's to go to court next month. But... her school doesn't do such until after 10 days are missed. Plus a parent can excuse with a note 5 days for their child. Alot of the days she missed were doctor excused. Once they get her attendence fixed right (which they have all messed up), I won't even be past the 10 days. They counted her absent when she was at school and during homebound. After reading this, I am wondering if I could still get in trouble even though it's not past 10 days. I tried EVERYTHING to get her to go but she has school phobia and won't tell anyone why. She was at the point of opening the car door when I would be driving her to school and making harmful threats. When everyone told me they could take her away from me (which was nothing but a lie), I tried to get the principal to force her to stay but he wouldn't because he didn't want to disrupt the class. All they tried to get me to do was file charges on her with Juvenille or lock her up in a mental institution. I mean, alot of help, they were... I told them I would go to jail before I'd ever see her put in jail. Well now I'm getting my wish.. I have been approved to homeschool her but I'm still worried about this court issue.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandee wrote:
Thanks for the responses.

Being my son is only 6, I have until July 1, 2007 before I have to submit a letter of intent. My main concern was if I skipped a procedure to have him withdrawn from the public school system. I spoke with someone at the county school systems this morning and everything is ok. She is going to call the principal tomorrow just to make sure (she was out of town today) and double check. Looks like I'm all clear though. Whew is all I can say.....I could hardly sleep last night lol!

NC law doesn't require you to do anything with the local public school. The only reason you would notify the school is so that no one would think your dc is truant. Just don't let 'em give you any grief Smile
micheller79
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: babyblues Reply with quote

just curious, how old is your daughter? Will you let us know how things go? I am hopeful you will guide your daughter in the right direction to ease her fears. God bless you.
dakeeper
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am alos from NC and its pretty easy...my son is 6 and we don't have to file an intent until he is 7..so you are fine...the only time you would get "grief" from the Public school is if they were older than 7, and then its still not a big deal, just file your intent and keep a copy ...they were just being MEAN..IMO..
wrightno
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: hello Reply with quote

HEY BRANDIE,MY NAME IS NATASHA,I LIVE IN ST.AUGUSTINE FLORIDA.I HAVE A SON IN KINDERGARTEN,AND HE CAME HOME FROM SCHOOL YESTURDAY WITH A BURN MARK ON HIS HAND.HE SAID ONE OF THE KIDS IN HIS CLASS BROUGHT HIS BROTHERS LIGHTER TO SCHOOL,AND HE BURNED HIS HAND I WAS SO SO UPSET.NO NOTE CAME HOME WITH HIM FROM SCHOOL ABOUT THIS.KIDS THROW FOOD AT HIM PICK AT HIM I JUST DONT NO WHAT TO DO.I SEE WHY PARENTS ARE PULLING THEIR KIDS OUT OF SCHOOL.
ScottHughes
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the possible penalty?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: