Please! How to homeschool one subject

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

netski
User

Please! How to homeschool one subject

Postby netski » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:18 am

Hi!

My son, age 13, is in 8th grade middle school (public). He has an IEP for specific learning disability. We have books on tape (reading Lord of the Rings right now), as well as a computer with spellcheck. He is doing okay.

Here's the straw that breaks my back. In regards to reading material I always preview the matter because I usually read alongside - son likes not reading alone. In previewing the book "Spite Fences" I found it to be totally offensive on all points. I contacted his LA teacher who said it is curriculum for all 8th graders and said that I could have son opt out but that she could let me know in second quarter (spring session) what son would be doing as far as curriculum. To me this seems like a brush-off.

Three questions:
1. Can I legally homeschool in one subject? Son appears to enjoy other subjects and is active in wrestling and plays violin with his school orchestra.
2. What kind of curriculum is good for 8th grade language arts?
3. Everything I read about homeschooling and doing it legally states that form PI-1206 needs to be in by 10-15-06, but I just found out about this offensive degrading and age-inappropriate material last week. I contacted Madison, WI to have the form sent, but I'm not sure if this is the form I should be sending in as I have reservations at this time only in Language Arts. His last class is LA (outside of homebase/open study hall). I was thinking about early dismissal.

If anyone has been in this same situation, please let me know how you handled it.

I am like the majority of women - I actually would like to pull son out from all classes and homeschool - but hubby says no, although he has read the book and is in agreement to have son not read the book as class material.

Please help!

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:14 am

robinsegg
User

Postby robinsegg » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:32 am

There should be an "opt out" choice in this. If you find the material offensive, the teacher should be willing to accept a substitute at equal or greater reading difficulty. Since she won't agree, speak to the principle, the superintendent and the school board. Quote passages of the book which you find offensive and ask if there isn't something of better quality that could be chosen.
I'm sorry you're going through this. It sounds like this teacher is either stubborn or has an agenda for the class. As a parent, you need to find out which is the case and find out what's to be done.
If all else fails, you could go to http://www.aclj.org to see if they can help you.
Rachel
teacher at home
The Cleft in the Rock Academy

Return to “Getting Started”