Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Homeschooling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MomOf3
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: New to Homeschooling Reply with quote

I will begin homeschooling in August. I taught in the public school system for almost five years. I quit teaching when my first child was born. I now stay home with my three preschoolers. I'm excited about investing my education, training, and experience into teaching my own children. Smile
jessesmom
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: big step great experience for all if done right. Reply with quote

Hello Margie,

I am a mother of 4 children and I never thought I would want nor need to homeschool my kids. We lived in a great area with nice schools. until we moved to be closer to my husbands office. The schools were so rough and the town so small we had no choice of changing, so when we saw things happening in the 6th grade we opted for private school for my son. We had to bus him 40 minutes away. That did not work for us so we finished the year and decided on home school as our 7th grade year was approaching.

I knew people in my church that were already homeschoolers and I went ahead and signed up with them even though I did not really like the group that much. It was filled with girls and the entire support group only had 3 boys one my sons age.

I knew by going on trips and meetings for homeschoolers that our support group attended, I would meet other support groups. I did meet a
group that offered sports for boys and we joined them. We have been so happy since.

We drive 40 minutes out of town, but it is worth the kids having a social life and sports time with friends from the group. My son had a little bit of a hard time adjusting to not having the school friends on a daily basis like he was use to in public school but once we got past the first year it only got easier.

You are able to keep meeting different groups and more moms and dads with more experience than what we had and they are so helpful.

My son and daughters have been homeschooling now for 5 years. My son was placed back in public school for this senior year due to my infant son being so disabled I was not able to attend as much of the neccessary things he needed to be a part of as a senior. He is still Aand B honor Roll and the teachers have placed him in a leadership class because he communicates so well with his peers.

Talk about a sweet pat on the back for mom and dad. I was always second guessing our homeschooling decision and was worried I might be doing harm to his education. Apparently I was wrong and he is graduating with all of his needed credits.

That is one down and three more children to go.

I think it is in how you make the child that is learning the focus. You already know if they do not like something you have to find a way to make them like it , sometimes that means work on the parents part.

I hope I was some help in what we did . I love the support groups!! They are your best friend when you homeschool. Join more than one if you are able to.

Lots of luck and a big Graduation!!
tamalasc
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: An Aspiring Homeschooler Going to School Reply with quote

Hi Margie,

I have an 18 month old son that I want to eventually homeschool. I did not complete college but I would be very close to getting a degree if I go back. Now, I'm thinking about getting a degree in Early Childhood Education because I believe it will benefit me as a homeschooler. Has being a teacher helped you homeschool your children more effectively? Would now or in the near future be a good time for me to finish college before my son is ready for school? I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks

Tamala
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: