Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To the power of..???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBuskohl
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: To the power of..??? Reply with quote

Hello, I am hoping somone can help me out here.
Is ther an easy way to figure this problem out without using trial and error?

Problem: What to the power of 10 is 1024?

Or 1024 is what to the tenth power?

Thank you in advance...
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: If your math (or computer science) book gives you a... Reply with quote

If your math (or computer science) book gives you a problem like this, the answer is always going to be an integer. The object of the book is to teach you math, not make your life horrible Smile Start at 2 and work your way up.

(Hint: using this method, it took me about 5 seconds to find the answer)
RBuskohl
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My eleven year old son had this problem on one of his math papers. Im trying to teach him how do do it without starting at 2 and working up. Im a little rusty..
Thanx for the advise anway..

Richard
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: 2 to the 10th power is one of the most important... Reply with quote

The answer is 2. 2 to the 10th power is one of the most important numbers to memorize, since it's the number of bytes in a kilobyte of data, or the number of kilobytes in a megabyte, or the number of megabytes in a gigabyte, etc. You'll run into it over and over again in computer science, but as far as I know, there's no easy way to mathematically calculate that if x^10 (or x**10, depending on how you like to represent it) = 1024, x = 2. All you can do is punch in likely numbers until you find it (it's the first number you test, anyway), or use a calculator.
RBuskohl
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thank you very much for your help.

Have a super day..
Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Math All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: