Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seven, 7 and under. Can it be done??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boysnberry
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Seven, 7 and under. Can it be done?? Reply with quote

I desire desperately to homeschool my children but have tried twice and couldn't do it because of having so many "little blessings" running around. I have a second grader, first grader, pre k/kindergartener, a three year old, a two year old and 2 one year olds. I've had to put my three oldest in public school and I really regret it. Have already had problems with a situation recently. I just need at least ONE person out there who BY EXPERIENCE knows it can be done and can offer me advice. Thanks so much!
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I haven't done it, but I have a friend who has 12, under 16. She homeschools them all, and assures me that it gets easier as they get older, because the older ones help out. RIght now I would focus on teaching teamwork and getting life organized and then work on academics. they will come in time.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
boysnberry
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear I made it too cut and dry by asking for only experienced mom's of seven or more. Neutral I know it's still a huge challenge for any amount it's just that we seem to have a rare circumstance with so many little ones. I will take all the advice, comments or help I can get. Thanks so much
Esther
Miyu
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I am certainly not the one to give advice...I am only raising one child...and I am amazed when I see mom's handle lots of kids...you should be proud. Very Happy

I did have a friend who homeschooled 5 children. She was very relaxed about it...not really pushing to keep her kids on a schedule...as they got older and could do more on their own, it was much easier. Her oldest daughter ended up starting college at 15 and graduating at 19...her next oldest wasn't as academically inclined...he ended up going to a vocational school at age 17 for web design and graphic arts...I lost touch, so I am not sure how the younger kids are doing, but I bet they are doing well.

I guess what I am saying is not to worry about having rigorous academic schedules or goals in the early years...take advantage of the flexability that homeschooling offers...learn what works for you and your family...eventually a system will emerge that is workable and productive.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Seven, 7 and under. Can it be done?? Reply with quote

boysnberry wrote:
I have a second grader, first grader, pre k/kindergartener, a three year old, a two year old and 2 one year olds.

Hi Esther,

I only have 6 kids and the most I've had under 7 at once was 3. But I've worked in our church nursery class a lot, which is not just childcare but a religious class for children from 18 months to nearly 4 years. My experience is that if I can have all the kids do things together like sing lots and lots and lots of songs with dancing and actions; listen to me read aloud many, many stories; color and draw and play with dough; then for a few minutes a day on 2 or 3 days a week I can do something a bit more academic with the second-grader.

HTH,
Ramona
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: