Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello from MO!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wendy
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Hello from MO! Reply with quote

Hello there! I'm a homeschooling mom of 2 girls, (7 & almost 5) this is our second year, but first "official" year for keeping records.

My DH and I have been praying about homeschooling for a long time, even before the children arrived. Some things that really made the decision final were the things we've heard about public schools nowadays. (Christian rights taken away, sexual orientation pushed on the kids, and even the violence in the schools, just to name a few.) It wasn't quite like that when we were kids!

Both my DH and I were public schooled, and we are the first on both sides of our families to homeschool. Our parents do support us, but are still a little concerned about the social aspect. (We're not that worried, I don't want my kids socializing with most of the other kids anyway!)

I do have a degree for elementary education from a bible college, but I still feel totally inadequate! My oldest dd taught herself to read and some writing, so now I feel like I'm not sure what to do for my youngest!

Am hoping to gain some encouragement and know-how of the daily homeschooling schedule, and be able to have a set, but still a little flexible schedule that my dd's will know what to expect.

Cya!
Luke 12:34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello from MO! Reply with quote

Hi!

I've heard all my life that if you know something you can teach it. I always felt confident that I could teach my kids up through 12th grade and beyond because I *went* to school through all those grades myself. If you know how to tie a bow, you can teach someone else to do it, right? If you've memorized a list of something you can teach that list to another person. So how hard can home education be? Smile

I've struggled sometimes over the years with how to get certain concepts across to a particular child, but there's tons of info out there (and right here on this site!) about all those kinds of little challenges.

Welcome!

Ramona
Mom to 6
HS'ing 12+ years
Wendy
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ramona!

You're so right! I guess I get overwhelmed with the thought of it all!!

Wow!! Mom to 6!! Way to go to you!!! So how do you keep track of all your kids' progress? What type of requirements do you have?

Thanks again for your welcome!
wendi.t.momof4
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: taught in public school-1st hs year:-) Reply with quote

Hi Wendy! My name is Wendi, too!
Welcome! I substitute taught this past year in my children's-I have 4 ages 7-14-schools, it's a small district and 1 elementary, middle, and high school. You definitely made a good decision! Two of my daughters got hurt and nothing was done. All my kids daily heard sexual talks, profanity, etc. while the bus driver did nothing but he did manage to raise his voice at my kids, I think mostly because he knew they were Christians. My one daughter had to watch a film on buddhism but when my youngest girl wanted to pray, her teacher said she didn't have to do that! Then the last week of school my middle girl got a concussion from a 6th grader and that was it! I never thought I would hs because it seemed so overwhelming but it was the Lord's timing and we were ready and it is the best decision we ever made for our kids.
I totally agree with all Ramona said, too, and I know that God will give you all you need most of all. God bless you!
Just a suggestion, but your younger child doesn't necessarily 'need' school at this point but I'm sure will want to be included so just enjoy and don't stress out. I'm preaching to myself definitely! Laughing Have a blessed day! You'll love this site!
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendy wrote:
So how do you keep track of all your kids' progress? What type of requirements do you have?

Occasionally I check up on how a child is doing in some subject by finding some list somewhere of how a child that age "should be" doing and asking my child questions. If I find something we're behind on, I might concentrate on it for a few days or weeks, or I might just generally include it in our course for the next year or so.

The only requirements in my state are to do 172 days per year from age 7 to age 16 with a day being an average of 4 hours long, and to cover the basic subjects: reading, writing, speaking, math, history, civics, literature and science. Then there is supposed to be some sort of checking up sometime in each odd-numbered grade from 3rd on. It can be any standardized test, or review by a qualified person (which is specifically but broadly defined in state law). The qualified person doing the review decides how they're going to do it.

Ramona
Wendy
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wendi! (Great name by the way!)
I know that my youngest doesn't necessarily need to school at this point, but she so wants to! And I don't want to tell her "No, you're not old enough yet", so I'm letting her come along for the ride.

I don't want to overload her, but I do want to give her a little something. She knows her letters, shapes, colors, and some math already, I'm just wanting to teach her a little reading right now. She knows what sounds the letters are supposed to make, she's just having a hard time putting them together.

Ramona, thanks for the reminder about those lists. I did see those in our local library and need to check one out for myself. I'm curious to see where my oldest dd is really at. She taught herself to read and has a natural curiosity so she learns a lot on her own. (She was just telling me what she learned about the food chain. I don't remember learning that in 2nd grade!!) She learns them from computer games and her leappad. Can't beat learning while playing games!

Thanks again you two!
Cya!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: