Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Georgia requirement of annual progress assement.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teenutter
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Georgia requirement of annual progress assement. Reply with quote

Hi,
I am finishing up our school year and in review of the state law requirements for GA, I discovered I need to write an annual progress assessment report in each required subject area for my daughter. I am not sure what to write exactly, when I spoke to our local school board she said it is a summary of what my child has accomplished this past year. We just finished 7th grade, We covered sooo much I am not sure if writing every thing down would be called a summary, its more like a short story! Does any one have any suggestions on how to do this?
Confused Thank you
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Georgia requirement of annual progress assement. Reply with quote

I guess the overall guideline is: if it's taking more than a page per subject to write your summary, you need to summarize more. It's usually fairly easy - just look at the index for the textbook you're using, then copy the section headings for the parts you covered (or in many cases, you can go to the publisher's web site and get an index from there, which saves some typing). If you didn't use textbooks, or if the subject matter was sort of mix and match, then download syllabuses of the proper grade level from the Internet and cut and paste as necessary from those.

Since there aren't any specific legal guidelines as to how much detail you have to go into on your summary, all you have to make sure of is that the summary shows you covered:

http://www.ghea.org/pages/resources/stateLaw.php

The home school must provide "a basic academic educational program ... that includes, but is not limited to, reading, language arts, math, social studies, and science.

Also, in the vast majority of cases, you won't be required to produce the summary, just store it for three years:

According to the Attorney General of Georgia, the local superintendent does not the have the authority to require parents to affirmatively produce evidence of their continuing compliance with the law in the operation of home study programs or require the production of documents. Although the superintendent has the authority to "request" such materials, he cannot require parents to submit them.
Against My Will
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if there is a law in georgia against homeschooling.

say, if the student wants to go to public school but, the parents is agaisnt it.

its there any laws that can allow the student to go to school?

Thanks for the help.
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. If you are under 18, I believe your legal guardians (in this case, your parents) control how you are schooled. The only grounds for changing that would be if your parents aren't fulfilling the legal requirements for homeschooling, in which case the state could potentially force them to switch.

Assuming your question is legitimate, why do you want to switch?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: