Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

16 year old seeking options.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b0hemian_l0ve
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: 16 year old seeking options. Reply with quote

Hi everyone, my name's Jenn and I'm 16. I'm a junior at our public school and I just can't handle it this year. I've had really bad stress/anxiety issues since I first started school. We never had much money, so I've always been picked on for that and I've just never had a good school experience.

I could suck it up for the longest time, but this year has been completely different. I feel uncomfortable and exposed as soon as I walk in the building. I just don't relate to kids my age. I've been through a lot with a drug-addicted mother (I live with my grandmother now and have since I was eight) that I've just matured faster then most kids, so it's so hard to relate. I've always gotten along better with the teachers then the students...but not this year. I feel so alone. I had a panic attack today after only TWO DAYS of school.

I'm a smart kid, 3.8 GPA, but I just can't concentrate at all this year. I take honors classes and major in the arts. It's completely different this year though. My grandmother won't listen to me and gets mad when I have panic attacks over school. I went to a therapist in 7th grade for a year and it helped...but not with school. The only time I feel...out of place...is at school. Our public school system is rated one of the best in new jersey, so that's why she wants me to go, but I just hate it so much.

We had a bomb threat last year. Two actually...I just don't feel safe and I don't like being around kids who are rude and the psychological bullying is terrible!

I need some advice. I'm afraid homeschooling won't allow me to get into the kind of college I want to get into, yet it seems like my only other option, but my Grandmother works full time. Am I hopeless? Because that's how it feels...
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 16 year old seeking options. Reply with quote

You can homeschool and still get into a good college. Figure out what courses you need to officially graduate high school and get into the college you're applying to. Complete the work, then follow it up with nationally standardized tests such as AP, CLEP, and DSST exams. All colleges accept these for entrance requirements and some measure of college credit, and it won't matter to them that you homeschooled to get ready for the exams in the first place. You could also do some of the more difficult courses at a lcommunity college, where the atmosphere willl probably be nicer than at your local high school.

As far as colleges accepting homeschoolers goes, homeschooling is pretty mainstream now, and colleges recognize that, in general, homeschoolers make better students. As long as you have a competitive academic record, they'll snap you up in a minute.
AMS
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jenn; I'm Aaron,

I don't know how much I can help you with the Homeschooling process since I am new to the whole thing myself. I am certain that if you homeschool you would have no problem getting into a good college but honestly I don't know what your options are in NJ as a 16 year old. I am certain that there are other's both here and also within other homeschool groups that can provide you more information on these subjects. I responded here to answer one thing...

Jenn wrote:
[...]Am I hopeless? Because that's how it feels...

The answer to that is no... you are not hopeless.

You are NOT hopeless.

I hope you can hear this baby-girl...

You are not hopeless!

I don't know if you will be able to get into a homeschooling situation or if you will be required to complete your schooling the "normal" way. I don't know the rules or people involved well enough. It doesn't matter though...

Why doesn't it matter? Because you are not hopeless. You are strong enough to get through this. I know it won't be easy but you will find a way and once you have made it through you will find yourself stronger than you were before....

You can do this Jenny. No matter how many kids make fun of you or how many bomb scares there are. No matter how many times you might happen to stumble will make it through... I know you will.

You are not hopeless...
micheller79
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That picture is beautiful and so were your words ams. I hope you heard that jenny. God bless you. I am praying for you. I felt pretty out of place in high school and college because I was fairly poor, but you know what ?I survived!!!! I am a very happy 45 years old. Be true to yourself. Don't give up!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: