Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

curriculum help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jolenegreen
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: curriculum help? Reply with quote

DO I need to go with a specific curriculum or could I just make one up as I go?
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make one up as you go, especially for kindergarten and the early grades. Later on, you'll probably want to use curricula for at least math and perhaps science, though you can cover reading, writing, history, and any other subjective topic just fine on your own or through library books.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only curriculum I have is Miquon and Developmental for math, and a simple bible study. Everything else is open. Right now we are studying caterpillars because we have found at least 9 of them this year.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
elishajane
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with understanding your state's guidelines/laws for homeschooling. They may dictate to a large extent which path you choose. If the laws are extesive, it may be easier to just pick a curriculum.
HTH,
cornopean
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

momo3boys wrote:
The only curriculum I have is Miquon and Developmental for math, and a simple bible study. Everything else is open. Right now we are studying caterpillars because we have found at least 9 of them this year.

Get the Robinson Curriculum and use that as your base. then supplement where ever you see fit.

www.robinsoncurriculum.com
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: curriculum help? Reply with quote

jolenegreen wrote:
DO I need to go with a specific curriculum or could I just make one up as I go?

Just for fun, let's discuss the meaning of "curriculum."

Most hsers misuse it. "Curriculum" does not mean "that textbook over there," or "that $300 program I bought from [insert name of publisher here]."

It actually means, "The course of study offered by an institution of education." So, your *curriculum* is what you plan to study, and what you want to accomplish. Can you make one up as you go? Of course.

Your real question is "Do I need a published textbook or other materials that look like school?" The answer is "No." If you want to do, say, American history--early American/Colonial history--you can go to the library and look for good books, or watch movies, or go to Williamsburg or Old Sturbridge Village. You do NOT need a textbook or anything written by someone specifically for hsers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: