Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wanting to homeschool...BUT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jolenegreen
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Wanting to homeschool...BUT Reply with quote

MY hubby is argueing that our children need to interact with other people besides family. Which in some cases I do agree...Im not really sure how to win this argument....Because I do somewhat agree that our children do need to interact with others besides us...(this is all part of preparing them for life). We live in a small town where everyone knows eachother. Hubby and I have not made many friends and the friends we do have dont have any children...so...Im not really quite sure how they could communicate and interact with others, ya know. We live in a small town and there is nothing here for the children to do....no programs, no parks full of children,nothing. School is everything for the children here. ANd now that my hubby said that...I am kind of skeptical on this. I want my children to have friends and not to be lonley. I also remeber going to school.....I loved it becuase I could see my friends. It never bothered me until he had said something.
Has anyone else ever worried about their children not getting the interaction they need?
Thanks
robinsegg
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to your local library, go to church, find families and set up play dates at the park or at one of your homes. Even small towns will usually have some kind of "kid program" at the library.

Also, who says your kids have to have friends their own ages? Let them have friends of all different ages, including adults, and they'll be much better well-rounded.
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't keep up with my son's social schedule.. and that's just around the
neighborhood. Smile

if there is a park, then something could be set up for time.
You could look about for other homeschoolers in your area also.

we tend to pop up lots of places. Smile

mark
love2bastayathomemom
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, since this was a small concern for me as it is for everyone seeking to homeschool for the first time, but every homeschool book I've read states that statistics show that homeschool children are just as social, if not more social than their schooled counterparts. Also, children that tend to be around adults and different age groups of children tend to be more mature and intelligent.
You didn't state the ages of your children, but I would think if you have small children that they still love to be around Mom anyway with all the lovin' and attention they get!
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Lenethren
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same concern but after having my children in public school I came to this conclusion...some of their teachers I wouldn't hire as babysitters and some of their classmates I wouldn't have in my home so did I really want my kids with people like that for several hours 5 days a week?

I decided even they didn't get their social time in they'd still be better off HS'ed.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a very small town also, (pop under 900), we have baseball, scouts, and we are finding that there are a lot of other homeschoolers out there. If you find even one other homeschool family, organize a play time at a central location, and invite others through the local paper, or radio. We had a float in the 4th of July parade and met some new people there. You would be surprised how many are out there. Our group grew from four familes last September, to 9-10 this year.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanting to homeschool...BUT Reply with quote

You didn't say how many kids you have, but my experience was that when I moved to a neighborhood with no other children and I had 3 (ages 4, 3 and newborn) my kids were perfectly fine. They were happy, they weren't lonely. We were very active in a church with lots of kids their ages. Any time they expressed any longing to spend more time with those kids we invited one over for a day. (That only happened once every few years.) We went to the library story hour every week in a larger city a little drive away. We had a homeschool group at our house. It was very small. There were only 4 or 5 other families. The family that came the most often had 7 kids, so that was a big bunch to play together. Very Happy They came about 45 minutes to get to our place once a month.

One of the greatest things about homeschooling is that kids are not stuck inside a school most of their childhoods. They have time and opportunity to meet people of all ages, socioeconomic levels, etc. You say that the friends you have don't have children so you don't know how your kids can communicate and interact with others. Well, your friends with no children are the "others" that your kids can communicate and interact with! Very Happy Yes, kids can become friends with adults. In fact, kids tend to do better when they learn to interact from adults than from other kids their own age.

Ramona
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: