Homeschooling in Spain

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Susan
User

Homeschooling in Spain

Postby Susan » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:38 am

Susan

Theodore

Re: Homeschooling in Spain

Postby Theodore » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:33 pm

Well, you can do what I do and just copy and paste the text into Babelfish. The page on legal info for Educacion Libre gives me this (minus all the pretty formatting and rearrangement, which I added to make it more readable):

SPANISH CONSTITUTION
Article 27, separated 1.

1. The freedom of education is recognized.
3. The powers public guarantee the right that attends the parents so that their children receive the religious and moral formation that is in agreement with its convictions.

Article 10.

1. The dignity of the person, the rights inviolable that are to him inherent, the free development of the personality, the respect to the law already the rights of the others is foundation of the public order and social La Paz.
2. The norms relative to the fundamental rights and the liberties that the Constitution recognizes, will interpret in accordance with the Universal Declaration of Human rights and international treaties and agreements on the same matters ratified by Spain.

UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS
Article 26.

1. The basic training will be obligatory
3. The parents will straight have preferred to choose the type of education that will be to occur to its children.

PROTOCOL 1, I ARTICULATE 2 OF THE EUROPEAN CONVENTION OF THE HUMAN RIGHTS (1952)

'To anybody will not be denied the right to the education. In the exercise of any function assumed in relation to the education and education, the State will respect the rights of the parents to assure this education and education according to its own philosophical and religious convictions.'

CIVIL CODE
Article 154.

1. The mother country power will be always exerted in benefit of the children, in agreement with its personality, and includes/understands the following duties and faculties:

1º Velar by them, to have them in its company, to feed them, to educate them and to try an integral formation to them.

CODI OF FAMÃ

Guillo
User

Postby Guillo » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:23 am

Both the Spanish Constitution and Civil Law present a broad characterization of what is considered "schooling". In other words, their wording does not exclude the possibility of homeschooling nor does it delegate obligatory educational requirements to a governmental institution. The Supreme Court's (Tribunal Supremo) 1994 decision confirms the above points and goes as far as contemplating alternative quasi-educational environments as acceptable instruments.

Absent legislation on point, apparently the biggest difficulty in Spain is the assumption by some people and state organisms that abstention from an institutional, state-approved program is prima facie evidence of neglect. This happens everywhere, even in countries where legislation is explicit and tolerant of homeschooling.

Consider contacting the Department of Education (Departamento de Educacion) office in your area and discuss with them your plan. Who knows; they might even become a resource.
Guillwermo "Guillo" Maduro Vazquez, J.D.

bjpatman
User

did you find out any laws and what the process is

Postby bjpatman » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:34 am

hi.....i am also considering home schooling................i am only going to be in spain for 6 months and have moved here from the netherlands...we are moving to australia so seems pointless puting them in a spanish school as they need to boost their english skills...and the private schools are so expensive...i am a nneb qualified classroom assistant and am confident i can tutor them in what they need.........so if you have any infomation regarding the laws and the process i need to follow i would be really greatful....bev

Theodore

Re: did you find out any laws and what the process i

Postby Theodore » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:07 pm

nmeneses
User

Home Schooling in another country

Postby nmeneses » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:55 am

Hi,
I currently live in Spain and my kids go to a local Spanish school in Benalmadena on the Costa Del Sol. I have no problem with the local school as both my kids are bilingual. If anyone is worried about the law here I would say that for 6 months - dont be. The authorities wont even know you are in Spain unless you tell them and they have too much trouble keeping track of foreign kids to bother. So many families leave without informing the school at all. As long as your kids are off the streats during school hours no one would be the wiser.

The biggest problem with home schooling in a foreign country is isolation of your children from other children and from the culture and language of that country. Do make sure that the kids join in with sports and other activities so that they make friends and learn the language.
Nic Meneses

bjpatman
User

thanks

Postby bjpatman » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:50 am

thanks for all your responses........i am happy to no i wont be getting in any trouble....the children are involved with a local football team so they are having contact so i feel a little more relaxed with my decision...bev

Return to “Homeschool Law”