Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greetings from the land of famous spuds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Idaho
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Greetings from the land of famous spuds Reply with quote

Hello Homeschoolers,

My name is Rod. I am a 53 year old single dad with an 8 year old daughter and a 10 year old son. We lost Mom to cancer about 13 months ago. Quinn and Claire were homeschooled until last year. With my wife gone I scrambled to get them into a private Christian school and they commuted, 40 miles, with me all last year....it was an incredible grind, but I'm proud to say we came through nicely.

This year things have worked out for us to stay home and we will thankfully begin homeschool once again. I am thrilled to find this forum and hope to learn from you all as well as contribute what I can. The option to stay home was a sudden development, so I am woefully unprepared for homeschooling this year. My hope in coming to these boards is to get pointed in a good direction so that I can pick up some 3rd and 4th grade curriculums. We are a Christian family, but I am primarily interested in good basic acedemic materials, preferably with work books. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Rod
AnnetteR
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rod, welcome to Homeschool World. I'm just starting out this year as well so I don't have any tips for you, but I'm certain others will provide a wealth of useful information.

Sorry about the loss of your wife.
alisarussell
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Rod! I will be starting this year as well with 2nd grade and 4th grade boys. I'm sorry about the loss of your wife.

Alisa
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have on eyear under my belt, but I leanred a lot diving in last year, and we have started this year much more ready to conquer our learning. We started Sunday night, by writing down our goals. keeping them visible, how many spelling words we are going to learn, books we are going to read, and then what the prize is if we do those things, ie, ice cream, trip to a skating rink.. I think that this helps them to keep their focus. THe other thing I recommend, is remain flexible. If something isn't working, change it. Romans 5:3-5, and psalm 103:8, and of course my siganture!
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Idaho
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the kind greetings and encouragement.

At this point I have realized there is a great body of information and materials available...too much for me to adequately research at this late stage. My search has landed me for now on the Bob Jones "Life-pac-5" series.....$203 dollars per grade level for a complete 5 subject program, replete with 10 workbooks per subject and (OMG) several hundred pages of teacher's manual per subject. ... Rolling Eyes

As this year unfolds I will have a better idea how to assess learning styles and continue to investigate the wide world of HS philosophies and strategem. $400 doesn't seem unreasonable for what is purported to be a well structured/rounded curriculum.....a far cry from the $8000 spent at a private school last year !!!

Thank you again

Grace,
Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: