Help 7th Grader Math

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

BethTN
User

Help 7th Grader Math

Postby BethTN » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:51 am

Theodore

Have you tried Saxon, or checking her learning style?

Postby Theodore » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:17 pm

Have you tried Saxon Math? Every problem set contains a few of each type of problem used throughout the previous sets, so it's good for keeping drilled in the concepts without beating them to death. Regular drills might contain dozens of the type of problem currently being learned, but someone who has trouble with math will only remember the basic concept long enough to finish the drill - not terribly useful. You need reminders for at least several weeks to move the concept into long-term memory.

Also, have you tried checking her learning style? Auditory or kinesthetic-tactile (hand-on) learners often have a lot of trouble understanding and retaining concepts through visuals. You might do better with videos or math manipulatives if your daughter isn't visual.

BethTN
User

Hi

Postby BethTN » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:40 pm

Thanks for the reply. Here is what I think I am going to do. I think I will stop BJU math, because there is not any review except at the end of the chapter. I am going to get Saxon 76 and give it a try..and use some supplemental books that I printed online.

I am just so worried about the standardized test she has to take. She has not been tested since 3rd grade and she scored low in math then. I wish there was a way to catch her up before march.

thanks!

Theodore

If she doesn't score well, then she doesn't score well.

Postby Theodore » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:29 pm

If she doesn't score well, then she doesn't score well. The best you can do right now is find a method that works - hopefully Saxon - and start catching her up to where she should be. If you work year-round rather than taking the summer off, you can keep her workload small while still doing significantly more than a grade of math per year. She may or may not score well now, but she should be able to score well in another year or two.

Mary Pride
User

Drill software can really help!

Postby Mary Pride » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:36 pm

If the problem is not knowing math facts, the BEST way to upgrade those quickly is with math drill software. The best I have found so far is Barnum Software's "Quarter Mile" program. It's very motivating, as you are racing against your own best speed scores, and completely customizable, so you can drill just the facts you need to improve.

I suggest you drill not only the missing multiplication facts, but ALL the math facts, as if your student is slow in ANY math facts it will really slow down higher math, as you have found!

Go to http://www.thequartermile.com to find out more.

Princess_Fyara
User

Postby Princess_Fyara » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:15 pm

Here's a link that might help, if she get's interested, she might get hooked! http://thatquiz.com/

Tabz
User

Postby Tabz » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:14 pm

There's a great tutoring site out there that works on-line. It's mindsprinting.com. I really wish that I would have had something like this to help me with math. They offer a free assesment test and sample lessons on-line. It can be used as a stand-alone curriculum or it can be used to suppliment a student's understanding. Try it out and see if it's right for you.

Return to “Math”