Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I work all day and still homeschool?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
audriana
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Can I work all day and still homeschool? Reply with quote

My youngest is having a difficult time in school. He's 13 and he has OCD and a lot of problems with bullies. We've tried private schools and public schools and with all of his issues, he's not doing well. The battles over homework and getting him to school are horrendous.

Unfortunately, I cannot quit my job. (I'm a teacher.) What I want to know is are homeschooling hours flexible enough for me to work with him after I get home from work? I was thinking that I could plan out what he would do during the day. He could complete the assignments during the day and we would review in the evenings after dinner and then preview the assignments for the next day. Is this unrealistic?

Also, I'm nervous about teaching him. I'm an elementary teacher. I taught both of my children to read before they started school, but I don't know anything about high school. Where do I look for information? Is there specific information the state (Virginia) requires that I teach my own child? Where do I begin?

Thanks,

Audriana
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Homeschooling hours are whatever you want them to be... Reply with quote

Homeschooling hours are whatever you want them to be. In your case, you can set up a year-round schedule so your son covers the same amount of material (or more) in less time per day, and do maybe an hour of checking his homework and covering anything he had trouble with after you get home. Exactly what you said Razz

As for feeling nervous, don't. If you don't feel up to teaching a particular subject, and your son can't handle it on his own, then there are always homeschool co-ops, online schools, and the local community college. Homeschooling does not mean you can't make use of outside resources, it just means you retain control of what is tought.

See the following for the legal requirements for homeschooling in VA:
http://www.heav.org/thelaw/index.htm
http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=VA

You have a teaching degree, so you probably wouldn't have any trouble homeschooling in any state anyway.
audriana
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: thank you! Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice and the websites. They were very informative!
Life2me
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are curriculum companies that have dvd lessons that you can use for your child. I have friends that find these to be great for busy moms. The child can play and replay any lesson he might be having trouble with while you are away. As for scheduling, you need to know your states requirements for how many hours a day and how many days a year, but that is not to say you can not have school time be any time during the day, night or weekends. Every hour my kids are doing any kind of learning we call it "school". Beause you are a teacher you can also schedule subjects during the summer months. We love to do science and history during the summer because there are so many more fun things we can do in these subjects in the nice weather. And the kids love the field trips we take for history. I hope you can get the kinks worked out for your son. I recommend homeschooling to everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: