Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to homeschooling and feeling down

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crawwills
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: New to homeschooling and feeling down Reply with quote

I'm a SAHM to three kids - ages 8, 6, and 9 months. I've always worked outside the home until our move one year ago. My kids attended a public school this past year in SOCAL (our new home) but this school year I am giving homeschooling a try. I am using ABEKA because before we moved, my kids attended a very small private Christian daycare and school that used ABEKA and I was very pleased.
I like the curriculum although it is overwhelming and I wanted something structured the first year until we got our feet wet.
This is the third day and my daughter (Cool told a friend today that homeschooling was a bust. We talked about it at length and we both are feeling better and I've been adjusting things daily to find what works best for us. I did enough research beforehand to know that there are days like this and that it can be tough going - I just need an encouraging word.
Thanks for listening!
Lorren
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes a while to adjust... hang in there!

I've only homeschooled for preschool before, but it took me a little trial and error as well. I learned the limits of dd's attention span as it was in October, I learned what sort of schedule works well with us, etc. When we start Kindergarten next week, I'm sure there'll be some adjusting there too.

She also is adjusting to a different sort of school setting than public school, which is a big jump since she's used to a completely different setting. As you learn more about what works best for her and how she learns, she might find homeschool a lot more enjoyable... especially if she ends up with more spare time in the afternoons and gets to explore her own interests and has time to do more things that she finds enjoyable!
Lkat83
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCAL? Do you mean southern California? I'm originally from northern Calif.

One very important thing, imo, is to join a homeschooling support group so you can both have friends who are in the same situation. Try Googling homeschool groups your city.

I started homeschooling my 5th grade son when he was in 3rd grade. The first 6 months went great. Then, last year, the whole first two weeks, I was wondering what I'd done to myself. Things worked themselves out, though, and we did pretty well last year.

This year, we just started schooling on Monday, and again, I'm wondering why in the world I don't just send them out the door every morning like most others moms. But, I'm already getting a handle on things again. It takes time.

Good luck!
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New to homeschooling and feeling down Reply with quote

CONGRATULATIONS on being able to stay home and teach your kids! That's great! Very Happy

Maybe she needs more decompression time. We don't have to start just because the schools have started. I really like Mary Pride's *Complete Guide to Getting Started in Homeschooling* and I've read good things about *Homeschooling: The Early Years* by Linda Dobson. Kids' opinions about how school is going vary from one day to the next. A lot of times it depends on if they had one particular lesson that they didn't get. Or they might tell a friend it's not working because they think that's what the friend wants to hear. You're not doing this to get your kids' approval anyway, but because you're the mom and you feel that it's best. Right? Smile

Keep going with the most cheerful attitude you can and your kids will be fine. Wink

Ramona
Janet Tatman
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some days homeschooling can be very discouraging. I started teaching my four children with ABEKA as well and realized there was no way we could do every problem of every lesson. I would encourage you to continue to adapt the curriculum to fit your your children's learning style. One trick that helped us was just skipping every other problem or daily quiz (especially in math).

I am sure there must have been a specific reason why you choose to homeschool this year. Ask God to help you hold on to what He has already shown you and move forward. There are joys and rewards ahead waiting for you if you hang in there. Both you and your children are adapting to this new learning environment, so give yourself and them some time to figure it all out. If I could homeschool, you can too. Just have fun and love your kids while you teach! The years really do go by too fast. My four children are now an archeologist, registered nurse, marketing/journalism major in college, and Bible college 2nd year student. Your children will actually learn, too! Trust the Lord to show you. God bless.
AprilP
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are nearing the end of our 2nd week homeschooling and I've had a few discouraging days. I just keep telling myself (and my husband, who was really skeptical about homeschooling to begin with) that it's going to take time for all of us to get adjusted. Remember that if God called you to homeschool, He will not let you fail. He knows how much you can handle. And I know it's got to be tough with a 9 month old to take care of too. My two youngest are ages 2 and 3. I'm trying to involve them as much as I can, but they don't want to stay up at the table drawing for very long. And they're not taking to kindly to the extra attention my other two kids are getting. Hang in there! your'e not alone. I'm sure it won't be long before we begin to see the fruit of our efforts.
acheshire
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the perspective of a former homeschooler, I swore I hated it and would never inflict it on my kids and given that my mom was a straight A student all of her life, it was nothing short of daunting to have her as my teacher. She absolutely could not relate to the typical things kids do, like procrastination, skipping homework assignments, making anything less than an A on the tests, etc. By the time I was 15 i thought my cheese was falling completely off my cracker. Shocked In time we did manage to come to terms with the fact that I am not her and she is not me. As long as I did my best, she stayed off my back. For the most part, I ended up being self taught in the end. Through highschool i pretty much did the lessons in the syllabi, did the reading, turned in my work to my mom to send off to the school, and then the day was mine. I liked that I was doing it myself and not having to listen to some boring teacher droning on all day long about what was already in the text. I wish the workforce functioned the way the homeschooling did....I spend an amazing amount of time with nothing do and feeling like I have wasted my day because I have to work within the confines of their timetables. I am at work 8 -9 hours monday through friday, but I am probably doing real work for less than half of that. The rest of the time I am looking for something to do so that I do go crazy from boredom. ...and again, I am rambling.... Embarassed

What I am saying is, there are pros and cons, and the education that I got and the confidence in what my brain is capable of was worth every minute of the homeschooling that I got. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: