Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curriculum advice for a 14 year old reading as a 3rd grader

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveangel
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Curriculum advice for a 14 year old reading as a 3rd grader Reply with quote

Hi there,

Can you give advice for a 14 year old? He has a reading comprehension of a 3rd grader, and it is not improving. He is homeschooled, and I would love to know if there is any curriculum at his level, but for 8th grade subjects. Several have been used, but would love for him to experience more science, reading, and history.

Thanks

Dave
RNMomteach4
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
I would start with lots of books on CD. Even if his reading comprehension is low, he should do better with listening to the stories. Even my 4 yr old loves to hear The Chronicles of Narnia, The Hobbit, The Call of the Wild, White Fang, and many other stories. You can get historical books on CD too. Choose books that would be at a middle school level or higher.
For science, do lots of experiments. Even if he doesn't read well, if he sees something, he can get it. There are lots of great science curriculums out there and lots of recommendations on this site. I personally use the Supercharged Science e-science curriculum, so you can check that out if you want at www.SuperchargedScience.com/esci.htm.
I hope this helps.
ds:4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: