Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

home school time is good for littil child

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jastincamp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: home school time is good for littil child Reply with quote

(Moderator) Account is spam bot, probably copying post from somewhere else. Thread stays due to replies.

We started homeschool in Sept so we are fairly new at it. We choose A Beka. We have a 5th grader, 4th grader and kindergarten student. Right away I noticed that math would be too difficult so I moved down a grade for math (ie. 4th, and 3rd).
Problem: my kids don't want to 'learn' from me. My daughter is having difficulty GETTING division and each time I explain it to her she gets frustrated and tunes out. We have been doing division for over a month and she still doesn't get it : I have been very patient with her .. I sit there and watch and when she makes the wrong desision I correct her hoping she will learn to make the right moves on her own.
Our son depends on me for english. He is learning about subjects, adverbs and adjectives. He doesn't do a question without me... when I leave the table he just waits... if I ask him to continue he says he doesn't understand that one.
Lily
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes a curriculum is not a good fit for a child. I know we went through a few before finding companies that let my child flourish.

Have you thought about something with a video curriculum for your daughter? We used Math U See with great success. A dvd introduces each topic, the child works on it, and then teaches the parent before moving on.

English was a little harder to find a good fit, but at different times Writing Tales and Writing Strands both worked for my son. We moved away from WS for a bit to work on bare bones language arts to get him comfortable with writing, and then when we switched back he was doing ten times better than he ever had.

There's a lot of curricula out there to wade through, but it's easy to pare down once you know their learning styles and needs.
dkocur
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar situation with my oldest daughter. There's a neat long division tutorial at http://www.coolmath4kids.com/long-division/long-division-lesson-1.html My daughter had to go through it several times, but she eventually got it.
fabiola
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar provlem with my daughter. But it's more an authority problem than leaning. She just doesn't pay attention at what I'm saying. So, I'm starting to have my doubts if I have made the correct choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: