Needing help or advice

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Needing help or advice

Postby twayne78 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:40 pm

I am a single father and I want to homeschool my boys. My oldest will start kindergarten this year. Everyone tells me to just put them in school but that goes against everything I believe. I was homeschooled so I know how to do it but is it possible and what advice for a single dad. My wife left over a year ago, she is now living in the "world" so she is no help. I can't afford private school, I'm barely keeping a float now. Any ideas?

P.S. I already have the curriculum, I bought it over a year ago.

Thank you!

Postby Chrisy » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:31 pm

have PM'd you :)

Postby acheshire » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:06 pm

It is very possible and I think you should go for it. I was homeschooled for 9 years and I got a great education. It boggled my mind when I got to college and the professor was teaching the class how to write a topic sentence!!! I had learned that in the 8th grade! I am not sure exactly what kind of advice you are wanting, but I will tel you that I am a great cheerleader for what you are doing. Hang in there. Your kids may hit an age where they hate being homeschooled (I know I did in high school), but stick with it, they will thank you later...I have yet to stop thanking my mom for making me do it and I graduated in 1990! :)

Postby kkapfe » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:48 am

I am homeschooling a first grader and a kindergartener this year. If you make working a job and homeschooling them your main priority, then you should have enough time to do what you need to do with them. Remember that it does not take as long to homeschool everyday as it does for them to attend a school everyday. My kindergartener usually studies about an hour and a half everyday (and that's a slow day!). I know you could do it. If you've already had the curriculum for this long, why not give it a try and see how it goes. You can always modify as you go for whatever works for you.

Postby robinsegg » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:39 pm

Take a look at So, You're Thinking About Homeschooling by Lisa Whelchel. She has at least one (maybe more) single-parent family, and families where one parent has to work a lot, or is disabled in some way. You might be surprised!
teacher at home
The Cleft in the Rock Academy

Postby love2bastayathomemom » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:01 pm

Wow! What a great Dad you are! Your child/children are lucky! might help and I know there's a magazine called Homeschool Dad Magazine. Maybe you could do a search and find it online and be able to read it there instead of paying for the subscription.
Hope this helps a bit.
You'll do just fine though. It all comes together.

Return to “Getting Started”