Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Someone please HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoyDMama1945
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Someone please HELP Reply with quote

Hello, my name is Joy Delenny

And I hope you can help me.

I am 64 years old, and I have 3 children, my two eldest boys I sent to public school, one of them graduated. My youngest daughter,Catherine is 24 years old now, and I homeschooled her from the second grade on, starting in 1993. I had her enrolled in Seton home study program, and I did not register her with the state of Maryland as being homeschooled, because I did not want the state to interfere in our private lives, and I read it is always better to keep the state out of it.

After one year I started having a lot of health problems, and the schooling got hard for me, and because Cathy has always been a fidget and she would never learn to do her work on her own. I didn`t want the school to think I wasn`t doing what I was supposed to though, so I did most of her work for her and sent it in under her name, so she would pass the grades. I kept on doing that, and all the quarterly tests they sent, so that her record would show she had passed those grades. As for the education part, I bought some good encylopedias and let her read them. We also had cable and she could watch the history channel.

The whole time she was mostly good until she got to be about 12, then she got to be a horrible child, always fussing and saying she wanted to go outside and have friends besides me. Some peopole might not agree with it but I believe in keeping an eye on child, (especially a girl) all the time so I never would let her outside on her own. My reason for that is simple to understand for anybody who watches the news. If I had let her go out and mingle with other children, who knows what might have happened to her! I don`t know all those kids parents, and what they teach their kids! Why should I let my child around just anyone?! Not to mention I was a good friend to my daughter, we were always together, my Husband works, so it was always her and me at home.

The only thing I hate is my health is not better, because we never did really go out in the yard, and I got sensitive to light, so we had to cover most of the windows up, I know she did not like that.

So when it was time for me to either start the high school part of the courses I decided to just stop them because she wasn`t doing the lessons anyhow, I was, so I saw no point to it. But at the same time she cried and fussed and said she wanted a diploma one day, well, I know that everybody these days tries to say how important a diploma is but I never got one and I did fine. I told her that, but she kept on, so I told her I would let her do the GED one day. She just had a fit about all that, but since she was never good at doing the work I told her I was going to stop the Seton program anyway and I did.

It was after that she got really mopey, watching the TV upstairs all day by herself. And my heath got worse, and her attitude din`t make things any better.

When she was 17 she had just got so bad until I didn`t know what in the world to do with her, I found out she had got some razor blades and cut on herself! Every Mother`s nightmare! So I decided to let her start going outside with her Father since she wanted to go out so bad, so my Husband would take her along with him to the restaurant he ate at for dinner. (my health does not allow me to cook)

So then she was getting out in the evenings and still not happy.

Soon after that my Son brought a friend of his around, and I could tell that his friend was interested in my daughter, he seemed like the harmless type, so I let him ask her out, I thought for sure that would make her happy, and for awhile, it seemed like it did! But that was a mistake!

They "dated" for almost a year and things got worse and worse over that time, I had set a 8pm curfew for her and she cried for it to be later.
Then I had the worst scare with her, she came to me and told me that she was late for her period and her abdomen hurt!!! You can imagine how horrified I was! Any Mother would be, and I did yell at her about it, I am not going to lie. But I had her father take her to the hospital, and it turned out to be a cyst on her ovary. I was thankful, but she acted like she wanted an apology from me, and I would not give her one, why? because she is the child, I am the parent, simple as that!!! And anyway i still had my suspicions, and let me tell you, that curfew stood.

Now, after that my daughter got a part time job, but since i could not drive her there due to my health, I allowed her to ride with the Mother of the boy she was dating, another big mistake. My daughter started talking to her about our private life. I am sure that everybody here knows that homeschoolers are often looked on with suspicion...so I never allowed her to talk to anyone but she did talk to that woman and that was the worst of it.

I told my daughter that I wanted her to quit her job, and stop telling our private business to that woman, and what did she do?! She told me that woman had offered to let her come live with them!!! She told me she was moving out of my house, that she was 18 and it was her right!!!
I kown the law says 18 year olds are "adults", but parents know better!!!

To make a long story short, she did leave and live with that woman(the boy did not live with his mother) for a year, and after that she got her own appartment for awhile. It was understood that if she left, she was no longer my daughter, but she did not seem to care

Some time in 2008 she married that boy, and in 2009 she contacted me again and said she was just letting me know that she was going to take legal action against me for not having her in school!!!!

HERE IS WHERE I NEED HELP>>>>>>CAN SHE DO THAT?!?

I am almost 65 years old, i cannot go to jail, or pay her a lot of money, what can I do?!

does any one know what I should do, (besides get a lawyer, I got one but he does not know much about cases like this)

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!!!

THANK you, -Joy Delenny
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, she can sue you over just about anything, the US doesn't assign any penalties for bringing fraudulent lawsuits against someone. I don't know if she'll win, but if she can cause enough harassment she's probably hoping for a cash settlement.

My advice is to contact Home School Legal Defense Association (hslda.org) and your state homeschool group(s) and see if they've run across anything like this before, and if they can offer help with getting it blocked early on.
tinky wink
User

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I may be new here, but why do I get the strongest feeling that this is a spoof?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
Mark Twain
rachelinnys
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...if that was fiction...that person should write a novel. as a writer...I couldn't make that up.

if that really happened...you better get a lawyer.
MOMS
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHA!
I agree! ....write a nove!
I'd SOOO read it
.....& now i wanna hear more!
What happens next?!
Mia (6)
Baby Hondo (4)
TheresaHPIR
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also not gonna touch this one, lol...but since the OP has posted this on at least 2 other message boards, hopefully if there IS a need, it is addressed.

I will say one thing, however: To the OP and anyone else, if you truly are facing legal action against you, and have for over a year, then you need to watch what you say on message boards and throughout the net...and seek professional legal advice--your state should have Legal Aid or a similar program.
txjarvis
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so badly want to respond to this one...should I...shouldn't I? Ugh! Oh, I will just keep it shut for now, but you must know that this is showing amazing restraint on my part! Trust me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: