Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new homeschooler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lnorris78
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: new homeschooler Reply with quote

Hi my name is LeAnn and I am going to begin homeschooling my 2 children next year, I am looking at different curriculums and was wondering if anyone has used the Bob Jones, or Switched on Schoolhouse? If so I would love to hear what you think about them! Thanks so much!
Jill
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. I don't have experience with either of those, but I'm sure someone will come along who can help.

Last edited by Jill on Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used Switched On Schoolhouse for individual subjects and we liked it a lot.

Here is a link where you can read some reviews of SOS -

http://www.successful-homeschooling.com/switched-on-schoolhouse.html

And you could read reviews of both here -

http://homeschoolreviews.com/default.aspx
lnorris78
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the info!
PottersDaughter
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a brand new HS mom as well, and I have to say, from the reviews I read on CBD.com, looking at TONS and TONS of samples, I am in LOVE with the BJU curriculum! I'm teaching a 3rd, 2nd and 1st grader BJU curriculum in Bible, Science, History, and spelling/vocabulary.

A Beka and other similar curriculums were out of my price range right now, so I was looking for engaging, scripted (for the most part) and "bring it to real life" kind of curriculum, so I stuck it out with BJU. I obviously won't know how much I like it until after HS starts this August, but I am EXCITED.

I loved how in history, to teach them about the post office and colonial days, we create a post office in our classroom. Ask relatives to send them letters to arrive on that day. In science, I take them to a nursery for a field trip to talk about perennials, annuals and that other one (can you TELL I will be learning alongside my kids?).

Can't wait to hear some other opinions!!!
Jakk
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My older daughter uses SOS and loves it. I like the way it is set up and does most of the grading for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: