Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NY Homeschooling: Laws & Getting Started

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamsMum
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: NY Homeschooling: Laws & Getting Started Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I'm Manda, Cameron's mum.. Cameron is 5 years old. =0) He is registered to attend the worst school the city of Rochester has to offer and my husband, I and our family are all in agreement that home schooling is the best approach. I was wondering if someone could tell me what do I need to do legally and to get prepared?
I know I need to pull his registration, but what about other legal aspects?

My son did recieve Speech & Language services through his Pre K... I have been told because I paid for them with my insurance he will still be eligable for them as a home schooler. I do have an IEP for him.

This is ALL new to me although we have considered it for a LONG time, even before registereing him. But we were only hoping with the highest hope the school distract would place him in a school appropiate for him.. and they didn't.

I appreciate ANY thoughts, advice, tips or insight. Thank you so much and I really look forward to being a part of this forum. =0)

Blessings,
Manda & Cameron
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: NY Homeschooling: Laws & Getting Started Reply with quote

Home Instruction Regulations (NYCHEA) (Editor - link no longer works)

Looks like New York requires a letter of intent, an "individualized home instruction plan", and annual testing. Your IEP should still apply after you start homeschooling - see the threads on that topic in the Special Needs area of our forum.

(Editor - see following)
http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/nonpub/homeinstruction.html

Last edited by Theodore on Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
CamsMum
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I have read through the linked article you posted.... can you offer any suggestions on sites or resources for writing a letter of intent as well as laying out a proper IHIP?
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: NY Homeschooling: Laws & Getting Started Reply with quote

The letter of intent is just a notification that you want to homeschool, so you should only have to include your address and the names of the children you'll be homeschooling. The school district then sends you back a form for the IHIP, which I imagine will tell you what sorts f information they're looking for.
CamsMum
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thank you. I've actually found alot of resourceful information in regards to writing a letter of intent, which is as simple as you put it and the IHIP. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: