Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TAKING SON OUT OF PUBLIC SCHOOL END OF APRIL

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
lillyg
User


Joined: 22 Mar 2010
Posts: 12
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: TAKING SON OUT OF PUBLIC SCHOOL END OF APRIL Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been throwing this back and forth and have made a decision. My son has spring break next week and on April 22 I have my IEP meeting which I would love to get a copy of. At the meeting I am going to hand out the letter of intent giving them a date of when I am taking my son out of school, which will be the a date after April 22nd. I am a bit nervous but believe it is the best thing for my son. My son is so excited and can't wait. He is not learning the way I believe he should be and I will then finish 4th grade with him at home. Over the summer I will do some more 4th grade that Public School did not do and get him ready for 5th. Any thoughts??? Any suggestions???
Thanks
Lilly
Smile
_________________
Lilly G
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
elliemaejune
User


Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Posts: 588
Location: The Fireswamp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: TAKING SON OUT OF PUBLIC SCHOOL END OF APRIL Reply with quote

lillyg wrote:
Hello,

I have been throwing this back and forth and have made a decision. My son has spring break next week and on April 22 I have my IEP meeting which I would love to get a copy of. At the meeting I am going to hand out the letter of intent giving them a date of when I am taking my son out of school, which will be the a date after April 22nd. I am a bit nervous but believe it is the best thing for my son. My son is so excited and can't wait. He is not learning the way I believe he should be and I will then finish 4th grade with him at home. Over the summer I will do some more 4th grade that Public School did not do and get him ready for 5th. Any thoughts??? Any suggestions???
Thanks
Lilly
Smile

Before you go to that meeting, my *strong* recommendation is that you join Home School Legal Defense Association, immediately if not sooner,, and follow their recommendations about the withdrawal process.
_________________
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lillyg
User


Joined: 22 Mar 2010
Posts: 12
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ellie,

In researching the law, in NJ all you need is a letter of withdrawing your child from PS. I have the letter already addressed to the superintendent, principal and teachers. I am handing it in about 2 weeks before the date I am taking him out. I have been told that in NJ there really is nothing that needs to be done since it is legal in all 50 states.
Thanks for your help.
Lilly
_________________
Lilly G
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sartasd
User


Joined: 27 Jan 2009
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my *strong* recommendation is that you join Home School Legal Defense Association


I second that.

If it the cost, there is homeschool legal advantage (HLA)that does the same as Home school legal defense Assoc. (HSLD)

HLA is free, they do accept donations, donation do help them to represent their members.

when I pulled my kids out last year, The elementary school questioned my intent, and tried to tell me that I had to do A, B, and C to homeschool.
(There were wrong! and I knew the law)

The middle school was easy, I only filled out a form and that was it, no questions, no telling to do this or that.

Have a copy of you State's laws with you this will help.

I do recommend that you join either HSLD or HLA for legal support.
HSLD has information on their site for Special needs homeschooling.

Stand your ground and don't let the PS question your intentions to homeschool.
_________________
Sharon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lillyg
User


Joined: 22 Mar 2010
Posts: 12
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I just spoke to the principal and gave him, superintendent, and teachers a letter telling them that I am taking my son out of PS. The principal was so encouraging and supportive with a big hug. It was great. He told me that if there was anything that I needed not to hesitate to contact him, and also that he can come back anytime also.

I was nervous at first but all went well. Thank God! That is over. Now I can concentrate on the curriculum and getting started. Thanks everyone for your input and help.
Lilly
_________________
Lilly G
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
elliemaejune
User


Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Posts: 588
Location: The Fireswamp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lillyg wrote:
Hi Ellie,

In researching the law, in NJ all you need is a letter of withdrawing your child from PS. I have the letter already addressed to the superintendent, principal and teachers. I am handing it in about 2 weeks before the date I am taking him out. I have been told that in NJ there really is nothing that needs to be done since it is legal in all 50 states.
Thanks for your help.
Lilly

You should understand a couple of things:

The reason you "need" a letter of withdrawing your child from school is that if you don't officially withdraw him, the school will just think that he is truant. There is no law requiring you to notify the school, the district, or anyone else; it's just covering your bases.

Homeschooling is legal in New Jersey because of the way its compulsory education code is written (which has been upheld in court), not because homeschooling is "legal" in all 50 states. You can read about homeschooling in New Jersey here.

Good luck. Smile
_________________
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lillyg
User


Joined: 22 Mar 2010
Posts: 12
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ellie
_________________
Lilly G
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Homeschool World Terms of Use  •  Privacy Policy  •  Copyright ©1993-Now Home Life, Inc.