TAKING SON OUT OF PUBLIC SCHOOL END OF APRIL

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

lillyg
User

TAKING SON OUT OF PUBLIC SCHOOL END OF APRIL

Postby lillyg » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Hello,

I have been throwing this back and forth and have made a decision. My son has spring break next week and on April 22 I have my IEP meeting which I would love to get a copy of. At the meeting I am going to hand out the letter of intent giving them a date of when I am taking my son out of school, which will be the a date after April 22nd. I am a bit nervous but believe it is the best thing for my son. My son is so excited and can't wait. He is not learning the way I believe he should be and I will then finish 4th grade with him at home. Over the summer I will do some more 4th grade that Public School did not do and get him ready for 5th. Any thoughts??? Any suggestions???
Thanks
Lilly
:)
Lilly G

elliemaejune
User

Re: TAKING SON OUT OF PUBLIC SCHOOL END OF APRIL

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:24 pm

lillyg wrote:Hello,

I have been throwing this back and forth and have made a decision. My son has spring break next week and on April 22 I have my IEP meeting which I would love to get a copy of. At the meeting I am going to hand out the letter of intent giving them a date of when I am taking my son out of school, which will be the a date after April 22nd. I am a bit nervous but believe it is the best thing for my son. My son is so excited and can't wait. He is not learning the way I believe he should be and I will then finish 4th grade with him at home. Over the summer I will do some more 4th grade that Public School did not do and get him ready for 5th. Any thoughts??? Any suggestions???
Thanks
Lilly
:)

Before you go to that meeting, my *strong* recommendation is that you join Home School Legal Defense Association, immediately if not sooner,, and follow their recommendations about the withdrawal process.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

lillyg
User

Postby lillyg » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:47 am

Hi Ellie,

In researching the law, in NJ all you need is a letter of withdrawing your child from PS. I have the letter already addressed to the superintendent, principal and teachers. I am handing it in about 2 weeks before the date I am taking him out. I have been told that in NJ there really is nothing that needs to be done since it is legal in all 50 states.
Thanks for your help.
Lilly
Lilly G

sartasd
User

Postby sartasd » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:36 pm

my *strong* recommendation is that you join Home School Legal Defense Association

I second that.

If it the cost, there is homeschool legal advantage (HLA)that does the same as Home school legal defense Assoc. (HSLD)

HLA is free, they do accept donations, donation do help them to represent their members.

when I pulled my kids out last year, The elementary school questioned my intent, and tried to tell me that I had to do A, B, and C to homeschool.
(There were wrong! and I knew the law)

The middle school was easy, I only filled out a form and that was it, no questions, no telling to do this or that.

Have a copy of you State's laws with you this will help.

I do recommend that you join either HSLD or HLA for legal support.
HSLD has information on their site for Special needs homeschooling.

Stand your ground and don't let the PS question your intentions to homeschool.
Sharon

lillyg
User

Postby lillyg » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:48 pm

Hello,

I just spoke to the principal and gave him, superintendent, and teachers a letter telling them that I am taking my son out of PS. The principal was so encouraging and supportive with a big hug. It was great. He told me that if there was anything that I needed not to hesitate to contact him, and also that he can come back anytime also.

I was nervous at first but all went well. Thank God! That is over. Now I can concentrate on the curriculum and getting started. Thanks everyone for your input and help.
Lilly
Lilly G

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:52 am

lillyg wrote:Hi Ellie,

In researching the law, in NJ all you need is a letter of withdrawing your child from PS. I have the letter already addressed to the superintendent, principal and teachers. I am handing it in about 2 weeks before the date I am taking him out. I have been told that in NJ there really is nothing that needs to be done since it is legal in all 50 states.
Thanks for your help.
Lilly

You should understand a couple of things:

The reason you "need" a letter of withdrawing your child from school is that if you don't officially withdraw him, the school will just think that he is truant. There is no law requiring you to notify the school, the district, or anyone else; it's just covering your bases.

Homeschooling is legal in New Jersey because of the way its compulsory education code is written (which has been upheld in court), not because homeschooling is "legal" in all 50 states. You can read about homeschooling in New Jersey here.

Good luck. :)
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years

Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil

Grandmother to 1 sweet boy

Caretaker of 2 budgies

lillyg
User

Postby lillyg » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:23 am

Thank you Ellie
Lilly G

Return to “Getting Started”