Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taking son out of public school in New Jersey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lillyg
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Taking son out of public school in New Jersey Reply with quote

Hello,

I really need help. My son is in 4th grade and I would love to take him out of school now and continue at home till the end of the year. How can I take him out? Is there a letter I need to give the school? what kind of curriculum should I use for the last months of the school year? Please if anyone has advice I would great appreciate it. Thank you in advance. Lilly Very Happy
riccalo
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the forum Lilly. We're glad to have you here. Smile

Quote:
How can I take him out? Is there a letter I need to give the school?

This answer comes via the New Jersey Homeschool Association website's FAQ page. http://jerseyhomeschool.net/?page_id=68

If you want to notify, here’s a basic letter, to be sent to the district superintendent’s office and cc’d to the local principal:

[your address]

[date]

Dear [super]:

As a courtesy, I am sending this letter to inform you that my son, [name], who attended [previous school name] through the end of 3rd grade, will be homeschooled, starting this year, in accordance with N.J.S.A. 18A:38-25.

If you have any questions, please send them in writing to the above address.
Sincerely,

[name]

That’s all you need. Send both copies certified with return receipt. If the school writes back asking for more information, download and send them a copy of NJ State Board of Education’s

“Frequently Asked Questions About Homeschooling in New Jersey”.
http://www.state.nj.us/education/genfo/overview/faq_homeschool.htm

Quote:
what kind of curriculum should I use for the last months of the school year?

Choosing a curriculum is a very personal decision. You'll need to consider a couple things before picking one. Would you prefer a religious or secular curriculum? How much are you willing to spend on it? and last but not least, Structured or Relaxed approach?

If you are planning to homeschool your son for more than just the end of this school year I would suggest taking some time off from school work so that he can adjust to being at home full time.

One more thing...
Here are a couple of sites you might want to check out. They have plenty of information on homeschooling.
http://www.homeedmag.com/
http://www.successful-homeschooling.com/index.html
http://www.homeschoolinginnewjersey.com/

I hope that this was of some help to you. Smile
-Erica
lillyg
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erica,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! For all the wonderful information on homeschooling. I am still debating if I should take out my son before the end of the school year. Just want to find out how he finishes 4th grade and how would I know that he is ready for 5th grade. Thanks again for all your help. I will definitely be asking more questions.

How long have you been homeschooling? How many kids? What ages? Where do you live? Did you take your kids out of public or have you always homeschooled?

Thanks again for your help.
Lilly
Smile
riccalo
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're quite welcome Lilly. I'm just glad that I had some useful information to give out. Smile

Quote:
how would I know that he is ready for 5th grade.

Daily and direct observation. You will what he knows because you were with him when he learned it. The two of you can set goals for him to accomplish throughout the "school" year. Once a goal or task has been completed you can move on to something new or continue to explore the topic more thoroughly, it's all up to the two of you. If he's having difficulty figuring something out help him find a new way to look at it until something clicks with him and he gets it. If it gets to be too stressful, take a break and come back to it later with a clear and calm mind. All any homeschooling parent needs to do is answer their child's questions as best they can, encourage creative and cooperative solutions to problems as they arise and find resources and information to support whatever interests the child is currently exploring.

Quote:
How long have you been homeschooling? How many kids? What ages? Where do you live? Did you take your kids out of public or have you always homeschooled?

We've been homeschooling since November of 2006. I have two children, my oldest son is 11 years old and my youngest son is 7 years old. My 11 year old was in public school until the end of the first semester in 2nd grade. My youngest son has never gone to public school. My oldest son actually asked us to homeschool him. He said that he was bored at school, they didn't challenge him enough and they were killing his creativity. After researching the homeschooling laws for our state (Michigan) and discussing it together as a family we sent a letter of intent to homeschool to his former school and withdrew him. At first we thought we had to re-create school at home, but when that didn't work we became more relaxed in our approach and eventually we found our way to unschooling (and I'm so very glad we did).

-Erica
lillyg
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so awesome Erica. I wished I had taken my son out of public school a long time ago. He also had asked to be homeschool since he is so unhappy at school, bored with math and not challenged enough, they are teaching him 3rd grade math with no multiplication and division and he knows it already. Also the bullying, the kids in his class call him wierd, I don't like you Vincent, Don't play with Vincent, I don't want to sit next to you...all different negative statements that hurt him and us. He is never in trouble and 92% of his class gets in trouble and he is the oddball in the class because he doesn't fit in. I am so looking forward to homeschooling, I am counting the days left of public school, hopefully we will make it to the end of the school year unless something happens where I can not take it anymore. Thanks again for all your wonderful advice and ideas. Talk to you soon. Lilly
riccalo
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He also had asked to be homeschool since he is so unhappy at school, bored with math and not challenged enough, they are teaching him 3rd grade math with no multiplication and division and he knows it already.

My nephew had a similar situation. He was in a really good school in 3rd grade, but at the end of the year my sister moved to a new area and he had to change schools. His new school was a year behind his old school, he was literally doing the exact same worksheets from his previous school year at his new school! She had him stick it out and finish up the school year there, but she withdrew him and began homeschooling him the next year. Needless to say, we're all very happy about that. Smile

Quote:
Also the bullying, the kids in his class call him wierd, I don't like you Vincent, Don't play with Vincent, I don't want to sit next to you...all different negative statements that hurt him and us. He is never in trouble and 92% of his class gets in trouble and he is the oddball in the class because he doesn't fit in.

I'm so sorry that your son was treated that way. Sad My son was seen as a bit of an oddball as well. He spent his free time at school drawing or reading, his teacher complained to me that he didn't spend his free time wisely. She thought he should have been playing Legos with the other boys in the class everyday (which he did do from time to time, but there weren't very many and kids fought over them). I don't think she understood the concept of free time. I can't believe I went along with it for a while and told my son to stop reading and drawing during free time so that his teacher and the other students would leave him alone. Ayden's a vegetarian and the kids in his class knew this because his teacher would make it a point to bring it up during snack time, so there were a couple of times when a boy or two from his class would mock him for this
and shove meat in his face at lunch time. Boy did he ever hate that! There were a number of other incidents at school and on the bus, some serious, some not too bad. It's all in the past now and we've moved on from it. We're all having way too much fun learning together to really even think back on those days.

Quote:
I am so looking forward to homeschooling, I am counting the days left of public school, hopefully we will make it to the end of the
school year unless something happens where I can not take it anymore. Thanks again for all your wonderful advice and ideas.

I wish you and your family the best of luck on your homeschooling journey. Smile

-Erica
PS. Sorry I didn't write back sooner. My youngest son was sick (sinus problems and a fever), he's doing much better now thank goodness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: