Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brand new to homeschooling.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carminator1
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Brand new to homeschooling. Reply with quote

Hi I just joined this forum or even website, I am hoping that I am capable of homeschooling my very active 4 year old.

Right now the only really good supporters I have is my DH and some friends who already homeschool their kids, my parents are not very thrilled on the idea at all, they are from Spain where homescholing is just illegal so they really do not undestand it too well, plus they just don't think that I am capable or that my son will be deprived of friends etc...

I also have a little girl as well and she is 2 years old, my DH is in the coast guard and we just moved to mobile this summer, right now I am trying to get my kids involved in a few sports or classes so they can meet other kids their age etc...

I want to start homeschooling but don't know where to start, I was told that sonlight was good and I am also looking into four in a row which I was told was good as well. My son is very active and I want to choose a curriculum that is fun and teaches as the same time, something that he will not get bored with.

I have tried the big preschool books from different stores and he does a little bit but he gets bored prety quick, I also read to him daily and we go to the library every wed.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thank you.
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to the library is a wonderful idea. That's a great start!

A good site he might enjoy is -

http://starfall.com

I like Rainbow Resource for ordering homeschool curriculum.
They have a large selection, great reviews to read and the best prices around. You can look at everything on their web site or order a free catalog that will come in the mail. Their address is

http://rainbowresource.com

Hope this helps!
carminator1
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much hscoach, I will look at Rainbow reasource and check them out. I have done starfall with him before and he likes it as well. I went ahead a bough a 5 in a row curriculum that I found for less than $20, since it was such a small investent I thought why not and decided to take the plunge, I'll try it with him and see if he is ready for it or not.
mschickie
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonlight is a great curriculum but I would save it for the older grades (Core 1 and up) unless you have the money to spend. At that age books from the library, workbooks that you can find at your local book store work great. You can also find some relatively cheap software aimed at preschool/kindergarten kids. You can look at Sonlight's book list and use that pick some books to use.

As you are getting up into kindergarten you might want to look at Horizons for math. They have a really good program. We started dd using math 1 since she was a head. We also use Horizons for phonics but I know a bunch of people who used Explode the Code and really liked that. I have heard good things about FIR too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: