Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanny13
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: General Questions Reply with quote

Sorry for the typos.. I am at work right now and trying to send a quick message.. Smile I am exploring the world of homeschooling. I have a few questions about Public school. For now I have signed up for Virtual Public School. I know most of the people in here shy away from "public school". I probably will eventually transition to full blown home school.. I am just too nervous about doing it on our own. And the other reason.. I am fed up with the local public school.. I want to use open enrollment to totally cut them off funding from my child. I think Homeschooling will cut off SOME funding but not as much if I use open enrollment.

I have a few legal questions... I am not sure which category to post these questions in the forum.. I will post them under getting started.. because I am getting started.

1. Our daughter is in Kindergarten. We weren't aware she was receiving Title 1 help until we received a paper requesting a signature to receive government funding. Which was a few weeks after they started to work with her.. I talked to various private schools about this and they say they need parental permission to place a child in title 1. Is this true? We were totally unaware. Did the public school break any laws?

2. Our daughter fractured her arm on the playground. Since the economy went sour, our health insurance got switched to a high deductible plan. We have $1,500 in medical bills. The school administration tells us our daughter slipped on the ice.. About a half dozen classmates are telling an entirely different story. Our daughter fell climbing on the monkey bars and she fell on top of another child (who wasn't hurt). This was winter, the bars were wet, kids are wearing boots, monkey bars are very slippery in these types of conditions. Basically the School Administration are making our daughter and her classmates out to be liars. These are 5 and 6 year old kids, what benefit would these young kids see in lying? The teacher took noticed she was "babying" her arm. She took our daughter to the school nurse. School nurse said she would be fine. So we did not receive any note when she came home. No incident report was filed at the school. Our daughter came home ate supper and went to bed very early (5 PM to 5:30 PM) We weren't aware she had a broken arm until the next day.. We had to call the school to find out what happened. Would the school be liable for my medical bills? It sounds like a situation where the students lacked supervision. But I think its lame they make the kids out to be liars, and turn around and penalize kids for lying.

3. When we learned our daughter was in Title 1 because she had problems with reading, writing, and math.. Supposedly the 2nd to the last in her class. We had a 2nd opinion from an outside source. That achievement test showed she is close to meeting 2nd grade benchmarks.
My guess is the school is trying to put a label on our daughter to receive more government funding. Which in my opinion might be possible fraud. Where do I go to report this?

4. If I pursue any of the above matters, would I have to worry about retaliation from the school? Taking things out on our daughter?

I think Kindergarten is not a requirement in my state.. If our daughter is meeting at least 1st grade benchmarks.... Should I pull her out now?
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: General Questions Reply with quote

Tanny13 wrote:
Sorry for the typos.. I am at work right now and trying to send a quick message.. Smile I am exploring the world of homeschooling. I have a few questions about Public school. For now I have signed up for Virtual Public School. I know most of the people in here shy away from "public school". I probably will eventually transition to full blown home school.. I am just too nervous about doing it on our own. And the other reason.. I am fed up with the local public school.. I want to use open enrollment to totally cut them off funding from my child. I think Homeschooling will cut off SOME funding but not as much if I use open enrollment.

If you homeschool, the public schools get ZERO funding. If you do public school at home, the public school still gets funding. It's public school, regardless of where the "campus" is.

Quote:
I have a few legal questions... I am not sure which category to post these questions in the forum.. I will post them under getting started.. because I am getting started.

1. Our daughter is in Kindergarten. We weren't aware she was receiving Title 1 help until we received a paper requesting a signature to receive government funding. Which was a few weeks after they started to work with her.. I talked to various private schools about this and they say they need parental permission to place a child in title 1. Is this true? We were totally unaware. Did the public school break any laws?

You need to contact your local school board and ask the question.

Quote:
2. Our daughter fractured her arm on the playground. Since the economy went sour, our health insurance got switched to a high deductible plan. We have $1,500 in medical bills. The school administration tells us our daughter slipped on the ice.. About a half dozen classmates are telling an entirely different story. Our daughter fell climbing on the monkey bars and she fell on top of another child (who wasn't hurt). This was winter, the bars were wet, kids are wearing boots, monkey bars are very slippery in these types of conditions. Basically the School Administration are making our daughter and her classmates out to be liars. These are 5 and 6 year old kids, what benefit would these young kids see in lying? The teacher took noticed she was "babying" her arm. She took our daughter to the school nurse. School nurse said she would be fine. So we did not receive any note when she came home. No incident report was filed at the school. Our daughter came home ate supper and went to bed very early (5 PM to 5:30 PM) We weren't aware she had a broken arm until the next day.. We had to call the school to find out what happened. Would the school be liable for my medical bills? It sounds like a situation where the students lacked supervision. But I think its lame they make the kids out to be liars, and turn around and penalize kids for lying.

I don't know. You might need to contact an attorney.

Quote:
3. When we learned our daughter was in Title 1 because she had problems with reading, writing, and math.. Supposedly the 2nd to the last in her class. We had a 2nd opinion from an outside source. That achievement test showed she is close to meeting 2nd grade benchmarks.
My guess is the school is trying to put a label on our daughter to receive more government funding. Which in my opinion might be possible fraud. Where do I go to report this?

I don't think there would be any point in trying to "report" anything.

Quote:
4. If I pursue any of the above matters, would I have to worry about retaliation from the school? Taking things out on our daughter?

Aren't you going to homeschool? Then I don't see how the school could retaliate in any way.

Quote:
I think Kindergarten is not a requirement in my state.. If our daughter is meeting at least 1st grade benchmarks.... Should I pull her out now?

You would need to talk to the facilitators of the government school program you'll be enrolling your dd in. If you were going to homeschool, my advice would be to take her out, regardless of whether or not your dd meets any benchmarks at all. However, the public school program may have a different opinion, and you need to work with those folks.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Tanny13
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: General Questions Reply with quote

Hi.. Thanks for your reply.. If I homeschool.. From what I can tell the Public school still receives property tax money based on population and census figures.

The virtual public school is in another district 200+ miles away. If I use open enrollment the current Public school will have to physically write a check to the virtual public school for what they receive in Property taxes, and government funding (which is a figure of something like $10,400). I think it is something like $6,900 from local property tax receipts. and an additional $3,400 for putting a label on our child with Title 1.. (I never signed the papers allowing title 1.. Its been over 4+ months).. Maybe the school forged our signatures.. LOL..

True.. Public school is public school.. And for most people on here most Public schools are poison.. Smile Its a way to get me started with Homeschooling.. At least at this point in time I can supervise the curriculum. If I don't like it, we can go with full blown home school.

I can't officially home school until September. So my daughter will probably need finish the rest of the year.. I think the option is there to pull her out ASAP as Kindergarten in my state is not a requirement.. As far as the medical bills.. A Lawyer isn't going to talk to you or pursue unless 5 or 6 figures are involved.. I GUESS.. They could make it 5 or 6 figures.. I just want the school to pay the damn bill.. Smile

I think there is no need to report fraud because there are no checks and balances in the public school system anyway. Government trusts the school's benchmarks.. if they are at Pre K level.. That's what they take as the gospel truth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: