Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't Wait To Get Started

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkapfe
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Can't Wait To Get Started Reply with quote

I am brand new to home schooling! My oldest will be in 1st grade and my middle daughter (4 1/2 yrs old) will be attempting kindergarten. She is so smart that we are going to see how she does with being a year ahead. If she needs more time, she'll still have that extra year and won't be behind. We will be starting officially in the fall but I just can't wait to get started. At first, I thought that we had to have all of these books and sit at a desk for a certain amount of time each day. Since, we have to wait for a month or two (I am a full-time student at the moment) we are just doing some of the fun colorful workbooks that you can buy at Target or Office Depot. It is definitely going a lot slower since I can't dedicate more time each day but my girls are learning. It's amazing to see the lightbulb turn on for them.
GaHerd
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put her on a site like www.starfall.com that she can move around in herself and learn at the same time. Good site to make use of time with. Instead of Nick.com which kids will do if you let them.
ksellers@HomeEDdirectory.com
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Web sites may not be a good idea for young children... Reply with quote

I'm not sure introducing a very young child to the Internet is a good idea. Even ignoring the whole issue of safety, there's some substance to the argument that hands-on work (in this case, real books rather than a web sites) does a better job of developing the brain. There's just a lot more that can be done in the way of tracing things with your fingers, turning the pages this way and that to visualize the pictures from different angles, etc. There's also less distracting elements in a book vs a web site.

And yes, you can do all sorts of arts and crafts.

Last edited by Theodore on Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
kkapfe
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Response to Internet idea Reply with quote

I was thinking more along the lines of arts and crafts...you know, gluing 5 buttons on card stock with the number 5 written on it. That way she can learn to associate the written number with "how much" it is. My daughter is very hands on but would definitely get bored with workbooks all day long ever day. She is one who thrives in variety.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try out www.enchantedlearning.com You can use a lot of info for free or pay a small fee to make life a little easier, but they have fun print outs, and activities for all ages. My boys love the book print outs, and the activities are really easy to figure out.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: