Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

can't pass the SAT math

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laurielev
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: can't pass the SAT math Reply with quote

What do you do whaen your "kid" cannot pass the math portion of the SAT with even a 500?.... they have so many other gifts and abilities...which are all over looked because of this. Thanks!
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider getting a tutor that will tutor the child specifically for the SAT. A really good prep program can make a huge difference. It costs but if you are looking at scholarships they can also pay off far more than they cost.
laurielev
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! We have no jobs at present but we have looked into it.
prepst
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did your s/d practice with the Official SAT Study Guide?

I would suggest doing as many practice tests from there. SAT math can definitely be improved through practice. Is your kid having trouble with the math problems, or having trouble finishing all the problems on time?

Prep Street
KnowledgeisPower
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a bit unfortunate that our society tries to place circles into square holes but sometimes that's just how things work. As you said he has so many other talents but you are right, there is a ton of emphasis placed on Math in our schools and colleges. A math SAT score can have a powerful impact on where your son can get his college education. Even most online degrees geared toward specialized fields require math classes. I would suggest a tutor geared towards raising SAT scores. They really can make a difference. Once in college, most schools offer math labs that he could use to make it through those challenging courses. Good luck!
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAT math only goes up to Algebra II, if I remember correctly, and I'm afraid that everyone these dayis expected to be at least baseline competent up to that level. I guess the question is, why does your child need to pass the SAT? Is it to get into college? I'm guessing he's a music or art or literature major or something like that, and it can be hard to get a job as a liberal arts majors even in a normal economy, never mind one in a mild recession. Have you looked into vocational schools, tutoring, or just skipping college studies entirely? There have been lots of successful people who never attended college, some who didn't even graduate from high school.

// Given, I know that's avoiding the problem, but just thought I'd think outside the box a bit.
Love2Teach101
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: can't pass the SAT math Reply with quote

laurielev wrote:
What do you do whaen your "kid" cannot pass the math portion of the SAT with even a 500?.... they have so many other gifts and abilities...which are all over looked because of this. Thanks!

I would try the ACT and see how he or she does on that. Many students prefer the format of the ACT, and it doesn't count off for wrong answers like the SAT does.

You can also consider registering for an online program like Beestar. Some of their programs are paid, but their math exercises are always free. Just click on the Set Up Account link on the left hand side of the page and enter the info for you and your child.

*Please list my e-mail, love2teach101@gmail.com, as your referrer if you do register Smile I can donate the referral credit to my students
snippets
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Can't Pass SAT Math Reply with quote

I tend to lean toward the moderator's post because I know my daughter will have trouble passing it as well. She is bright, but freaks out on any timed test, plus she is dyslexic.

We are exploring other avenues besides college. I found a few good articles about this very issue at Let's Homeschool High School. High School is pretty new to us, so I can use all the help I can get in every area.
www.quaintscribbles.wordpress.com
www.3dlearners.blogspot.com

My fave homeschool high school site:
www.letshomeschoolhighschool.com
ashleypaxtonn
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: can't pass the SAT math Reply with quote

laurielev wrote:

Actually, the results of these competitive examinations largely based on the time management done by the student during an examination. I would surely consider a tutor to strengthen my kid's SAT prep. Increasing the speed would definitely going to help him to clear the examination.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: