Grammar suggestions for homeschool-high schooler

Phonics, reading, writing, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Grammar suggestions for homeschool-high schooler

Postby andy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:30 am

Hi, this is my first forum so please understand if I don't do this "right". I'm a five year, homeschool mother of 3, love-it! My oldest daughter is a sophmore and does well in LA's. This year we are tackling World Literature and I wanted to make sure I didn't forget to review, or atleast brush up on grammar skills. In the past we've used The Shurley Method-Shurley Grammar, and the entire family loves it. However, SG stops at level 8 and I haven't found any Shurley Method above this grade, that I know of. Does anyone know if Shurley goes any higher? If not, I'd be open to suggestions on high school grammar ideas; most importantly any grammar programs similar, or as close as possible, to Shurley Grammar. Thanks for your time and I'm excited to hear suggestions.
Alaskan Mom

Grammar for highschool/college/adult

Postby mark_egp » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:36 pm

You might like Our Mother Tongue by Nancy Wilson. It's a 'refresher' aimed at older students and adults.
Mark - Homeschool ideas Classic Book lists easy to search/sort for history, literature, and reading lesson plans

grammar curriculum

Postby lollipop » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:26 am

Abeka grammar is very good. I found the 9th and 10th grade to be the most instructive.

Postby mschickie » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:12 pm

You might want to try something like Easy Grammar Plus which is geared for high school students. It really is more review since most of the basics have usually been covered by then. In high school there is usually more of an emphasis on writing (application of the grammar learned) and literature anlysis.

Postby Sheepdog » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:48 am

I hope she has by now read, marked, and learnt all that's in White's "Elements of Style"?

The text has been posted, probably many places... this one worked just now...

Windows freeware/ shareware

Return to “Reading, Writing, Language Arts”