Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulling out of PS during school year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gottalovelattes
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Pulling out of PS during school year Reply with quote

My 11 year old son has missed 18 days already this year...the majority of the absences are due to bipolar disorder and the rest due to traditional illness. My question is, if I remove him from school in the near future, does he get credit for his attendance at PS for the year or do I have to start over with the 190 day requirement? We are in NC.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to homeschool, you don't have to keep track of school days. You're required to have 9 months of "school," no requirement for how many days, and your school school year starts whenever you want it to.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Jill
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in NC, and I pulled my kids out mid year. Ellie is right that NC only requires you to operate for a nine calendar month school term. That "first year" we homeschooled, I counted the months they spent in public school for that school year. Now, it doesn't make much difference because we are mostly a year round homeschol family.

Best wishes!
Roxanne2211
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is my sons last day at school , so we are in the same situation . I also had the same question .... and wanted to know what "proof" had to be shown to the state re months or days in school ?? I got my packet for state approval a few days ago and even in the renewal docs required for NEXT year ..... there isnt anything required showing them how many days/months you were in school . They just want the curriculum, 1-2 pages of work from each subject and a couple of other very minor things .
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxanne2211 wrote:
Today is my sons last day at school , so we are in the same situation . I also had the same question .... and wanted to know what "proof" had to be shown to the state re months or days in school ?? I got my packet for state approval a few days ago and even in the renewal docs required for NEXT year ..... there isnt anything required showing them how many days/months you were in school . They just want the curriculum, 1-2 pages of work from each subject and a couple of other very minor things .

It would be helpful if we knew which state. Smile
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: