Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canning vegetables?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Home Economics with Regina Hogsten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jan
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Canning vegetables? Reply with quote

DOES ANY ONE CAN OR PICKLE ANY OF THEIR GARDEN VEGGIES? DOES ANYONE MAKE SALSA OR TOMATO JIUCE ECT...ECT... I HAVE SOME TOMATO PLANTS , BUT I HAVE NEVER MADE SALSA OR ANYTHING I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO TRY MY HAND AT IT THOUGH. IF ANYONE KNOWS ANY GOOD WEBSITES OR HAS ANY GOOD AND PRETTY SIMPLE IDEAS I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW. I ALSO HAVE CUCUMBERS AND SQUASH PUMPKINS TO,IF YOU HAVE ANY GOOD CANNING RECIPES FOR THOSE. THANKS ! Very Happy Smile
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Canning Reply with quote

Try this web site and links
www.homecanning.com

Look in the library for canning instructions and recipes. Listed are just a few to get you started.
The Food Lover’s Guide to Canning: Contemporary Recipes & Techniques Rich, Chris 641.42R
Joy of Cooking All About Canning & Preserving Rombauer, Becker 641.42R
America’s All Time Favorite Canning & Preserving Recipes Better Homes and Gardens

Make sure you have all your supplies at hand. Also look into freezing as well as canning. I'm still waiting on my tomatoes and cucumbers.
Tim
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I freeze just about everything. Tomatoes are easy, just boil them until the skins crack, peel and freeze. They are great with macaroni and cheese! Tomatoe sauce is fun, and you can freeze that too. I make mine with spinach, carrots, zuchinni, anything I have in the garden that will cook. It's really good and great for those winter meals when there aren't many fresh veggies. I usually make pickles with cucumbers, those are easy but you can't freeze them.
Princess_Fyara
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Salsa Reply with quote

There is a book at rareseeds.com (Heirloom Gardener Magazine/Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds) on this page, it's called "Sensational Salsas - From Apple to Zucchini" it looks really good. Smile I thought of you today when I was flipping through this years seed catalog thinking of next year...
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: salsas Reply with quote

I am going to check out that book title and others from that site. I am trying to find more interesting ways to serve vegetables and fruit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Home Economics with Regina Hogsten All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: